Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought my bike about 5 months ago and just this last month had to have it rebuilt. turns out it has an andrews cam s&s rods and wiseco pistons. the guy i bought it from tore the motor down and sandblasted the cases but the dumb ass forgot to clean the sand out before he put it back together WTF right. the good thing is not to much is messed up but still. how many people has this happened to and how do you go about checking for this if you are buying a used bike. does feeling the oil help?

·
Registered
149 Posts
In my youthful ignorance I had some b31 cases bead blasted and spent days boiling and cleaning and even after pronouncing them clean the sidecover screws still pulled beads out of the threads.Will have to strip the engine again and get them ultrasonic cleaned.
The worst spot for hiding the beads was the blind end of the oil gallery drillings luckily there is only two in this motor and a clear view up both ends was possible

·
Registered
689 Posts
Are you running an oil filter? If not it would probably be a good idea to add one this time around. I blasted the cases on my 73 ironhead when i was rebuilding the engine, but i blew out every nook and crannie with air, soaked in degreaser, blew out again, etc. and never had an issue and never found any sand in my filter.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
naw it didnt have a filter, i did by a remote filter kit and will be mounting that here shortly as time for me has been little due to work. so what is the proper way to clean the cases then?

·
Registered
227 Posts
When trained by Cummins Diesel and IHC, both prohibit any type blasting of components, and for good reason. It is next to impossible to remove. There are other ways to get them clean, (aircraft paint stripper cleans them right up, does not discolor the metal, and rinses off.) A stone bath type machine that uses ceramic stones can be used as well.

When I sent my parts to the machine shop, I mark them "No Bead Blast!!!" with a junkyard marker.

I hate that gritty shit.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
things i didnt not know earlier lol. this is what happens when you buy a used bike i guess but my motor guy made it sound like these monkey fucks didnt even really clean the cases at all, so who knows at least theres not much damage and i caught it in time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just spoke to the guy building my '57 Panhead engine. I asked him about the cases.

He told me the guy that does his blasting uses some new powder that's actually a lubricant. Supposedly, you can just blow out the excess and leave it.

But, He says, he still boils the cases in a Lobster Pot. The heat opens up the pores of the metal and the sand will come out.

Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
388 Posts
yea I get shit all the time because I wont bead blast cases or any thing on bike looks so nice the say but added expense to rebuild and takes more time to clean one bead could f--k your rebuild havent tried new soda or others but might do heads thats it, never case have a brand new motor on bench son bought new rebuild and is, never run but because of bead blast have to rebuild again cams wont even turn when all apart because of sand

1 - 13 of 13 Posts