Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While working on the wife's Shovel, I decided to have a look at the stator before installing the inner primary, you know, preventive maintenance and all that. Stator looked good but I pulled it out anyway and sure enough the insulation on the leads was cracked.
I'm thinking about fixing it instead of getting a new one. I was wondering if anyone here fixed or repaired one and what worked , didn't work. Looking for ideas,thanks.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Heat shrink, if you want to salvage it. Replacement is probably the best way to eliminate a future loss of charging, but heatshrink will make it work for a while. Maybe a long while, with some luck.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Heat shrink, if you want to salvage it. Replacement is probably the best way to eliminate a future loss of charging, but heatshrink will make it work for a while. Maybe a long while, with some luck.
That's what I was thinking. Seems like a waste to chuck it when it's just cracked insulation and it hasn't even ground out on the case.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're set on salvaging it at risk of it failing far from home, I would clean it thoroughly then fill the cracks with dielectric grease prior to shrink wrapping. Unless you're runni g an open primary it's really got to be more efficient to replace it and know its as good as possible than to rig something only to have to go back in there X amount of time later.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There's a paint the electic motor shops use on windings that may do the job for you. Assuming the leads are fairly static and not flying around loosely you won't need a lot. A few coats should do it.

My mind's blank on it just now even though I paint all of my blocks and gearcases with it!

Grainger has it in spray as part number 500601 so when you get the proper name help me out.

They said alcohol kills brain cells but I think I needed that one....:(

Edit: Glyptol!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts