Jockey Journal Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
audi has come a long way since that bike was built.
i dont think they'll butcher ducati too badly. considering how much they've revamped supercars in the past two decades, i think they know a thing or two about 'go fast' vehicles.

it is too bad its not Cagiva's company anymore, they made some huge advances in the company

·
Registered
192 Posts
Will we get Audi cars with desmo valves?
Or Ducatis with comfortable leather seats?

The capital behind Audi is probably a good thing for Ducati to have, as well as the engineering resources. I think it will work out ok.

·
Registered
300 Posts
" "I can't think of a concrete reason for Audi to warrant a business case for buying Ducati," said Stefan Bratzel, director of the Center of Automotive, at the University of Applied Sciences in Bergisch-Gladbach. "Ducati does not enhance Audi's business model in any way, it is just a trophy in the wall cabinet." "

The motorcycling equvalent of a trophy wife. Look what happened to MV Agusta.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There go Ducati's electronics (The girlfriend's had two VW's and currently has an A4, something electric always acts up)

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
There go Ducati's electronics
Heh...you've never owned a Ducati, have you? :D

Flaky regulators, relays, and the cool way they run stator wires tight between the battery and hot motor on the 4-valves. Hell, they might improve.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Heh...you've never owned a Ducati, have you? :D

Flaky regulators, relays, and the cool way they run stator wires tight between the battery and hot motor on the 4-valves. Hell, they might improve.
Ha ha, no never had the pleasure of owning one, but you may be right, there's only one way to go if that's the case

On a side note, I got to drive a Gallardo a while ago (3 laps around a track) and when I sit down, its the same A/C control panel as my girlfriend's A4 (I mean exact). Her's is a POS btw; on top of that, the door grab handles and various interior pieces are that rubberized plastic where the rubber tends to show every scratch, then chips, and then basically sloughs off. I think to myself - not in a 175K car, Audi you BASTARDS!

·
Registered
653 Posts
vw audi take over ducati

this is audis last attempt at building a bike
That is a DKW Hummel. To blame Audi for it is a bit like blaming Corvette for the Pontiac Aztek. Same parent corporation, different division. DKW was part of the Auto Union conglomerate along with Audi, Horch and Wanderer. DKW built some pretty advanced bikes and their designs were used by the allies after WWII as spoils of war. The BSA Bantam and HD Hummer are nearly direct copies of DKWs. The Hummel is sorta odd looking, but it was a very good little bike and was considered quite spiffy when it was new. They're pretty collectable now.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Open the engine cover on a Porsche and take a look at some of the logos. VW, Audi...Ducati will be just fine.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
As long as they don't get the bright idea to combine dealerships like BMW did!:rolleyes:
Robbie
It was rumored that HD was interested in them as well. They're in much better hands with VW/Audi no matter how they market them.

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
H-D did a great job of destroying Buell (the American Ducati of sorts), then they fucked up MV, I'm sure Ducati would be toast next. Those jackasses don't know shit from wild honey about Sportbikes!
Robbie

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
H-D did a great job of destroying Buell (the American Ducati of sorts), then they fucked up MV, I'm sure Ducati would be toast next. Those jackasses don't know shit from wild honey about Sportbikes!
Robbie
You're not kidding. Buell was a tragedy.

Why did Ducati sell in the first place?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Why did Ducati sell in the first place?
Because it was owned by an investment fund. They only own things to sell them for a profit.

Ducatis ownership history is fairly long and complex, it's been owned at various points by the Italian government, Cagiva, TPG (another investment firm), and others.

They'll be more than fine under the VW umbrella. Not sure why anytone thinks it's a big, or bad, deal.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Because it was owned by an investment fund. They only own things to sell them for a profit.

Ducatis ownership history is fairly long and complex, it's been owned at various points by the Italian government, Cagiva, TPG (another investment firm), and others.

They'll be more than fine under the VW umbrella. Not sure why anytone thinks it's a big, or bad, deal.
Well, if it was owned by an investment firm, I'm sure it was stripped to the bone so VW/Audi can only be a good thing I'm thinking. They have a long history of success and nicely engineered products.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ducati was kind of a birthday gift for the CEO of the VW/Audi Concern, Mr. Piech. Ferdinant Piech, grandson of Ferdinand Porsche and called after him had his 75th birthday on April 17th. He is a motorcycling enthusiast and wishes a well named make in his concern for long.
If you have a look to, what Piech did with Bentley or with Lamborghini and even with Bugatti, than I think Ducatis will go on strong and safe. And I think the first Audi co-developped Ducati will become not less than a state-of-the-art-masterpiece which stands to benefit from both sides. Ducati has to invest lots of money for new models, when they want to go on strong, and Piech has got it and is willed to invest it because he is an enthusiast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.