Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posting photos of a build in progress seems both shameless and self-celebratory, but that's what threads are for, right? If esteemed members of the JJ will forgive me, I'd love to show you where my Softail Sportster is headed. The bars and stance say "streetfighter," the Cole Foster tank and ribbed fenders from India say "bobber" (kidding, of course) and the seat says "big pimpin'." I'm not sure where this thing is headed, but there's no turning back now. The gold-anodized Excel alloy rims (18x4.25 front and rear) will be assembled next week, and I hope to have it rolling around the garage by Christmas. The gold metalflake seat and rims almost demand a sparkly paint job, but funds being what they are around the holidays, I'll probably just powdercoat the tins forest green and call it a day. I'm looking forward to riding this thing by Valentine's Day, during which I hope to put it's passenger pegs (SNAFU titanium BMX pegs) and bitch pad to good use. If anyone would like to tell me how gay my bike is, the line forms at the bottom...

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Now that was a rant, relax and just do you thing, you don't need to justify every thought that goes through your mind...

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
halwade said:
Posting photos of a build in progress seems both shameless and self-celebratory, but that's what threads are for, right? If esteemed members of the JJ will forgive me, I'd love to show you where my Softail Sportster is headed. The bars and stance say "streetfighter," the Cole Foster tank and ribbed fenders from India say "bobber" (kidding, of course) and the seat says "big pimpin'." I'm not sure where this thing is headed, but there's no turning back now. The gold-anodized Excel alloy rims (18x4.25 front and rear) will be assembled next week, and I hope to have it rolling around the garage by Christmas. The gold metalflake seat and rims almost demand a sparkly paint job, but funds being what they are around the holidays, I'll probably just powdercoat the tins forest green and call it a day. I'm looking forward to riding this thing by Valentine's Day, during which I hope to put it's passenger pegs (SNAFU titanium BMX pegs) and bitch pad to good use. If anyone would like to tell me how gay my bike is, the line forms at the bottom...
Looks good.....(I just don't understand the muffler though).....safety first...open pipes:D

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hatch said:
Looks good.....(I just don't understand the muffler though).....safety first...open pipes:D
It WAS a muffler (kerker for Sportster), but I cut it down to 9" long, gutted it completely so now it's just an alloy can with Ti and stainless hardware. I think it complements the sportbike vibe. not sure what it'll sound like, but I'm giving it a shot...

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
halwade said:
It WAS a muffler (kerker for Sportster), but I cut it down to 9" long, gutted it completely so now it's just an alloy can with Ti and stainless hardware. I think it complements the sportbike vibe. not sure what it'll sound like, but I'm giving it a shot...
OK about the sound.....but visually, it stops my eye....and that's not good.

Sometimes a mix will work...sometimes not.

Once again....just my opinion.....important to me...not important to some.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Except for the fact that it has a front fender, I like it. I bet it will be fun to ride when it's done.

Are you doing rearsets or mids? I would go whole hog and rearset that bitch.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abe_Lugo said:
what are the clip-ons/hand controls off of?
I found those hand controls online, ebay i believe. there's a chick out there named Pinky who is a machinist. her company or brand or whatever is called billet2race. not sure if they have a website, but you can search buell brake levers on ebay and I bet you'll find her. they're originally for buells, so they have 7/8-inch ID clamps. I love them. they're spendy ($500 per set including clutch hydro cable and actuator), but damn they're nicely made.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tha Nutz said:
Except for the fact that it has a front fender, I like it. I bet it will be fun to ride when it's done.

It's approaching our rainy season in SoCal, and i want to be able to take this thing out with puddles on the ground and clouds in the sky. my current bike is a springer rigid with no front fender and it's a handful in standing water. blinding. I ride bicycles in the rain, so I see no reason why I can't ride a motorcycle, too.

re: rear sets, i'm going mid sets in the stock position. I considered rear sets, but they stock pegs mount so far back comparatively speaking that the final ergonomics aren't that bad. if I want to tuck it in, I can rest my feet on the passenger pegs. they're mounted low and rearward on the swingarm bracket of the main frame. a goofy riding position in my opinion (I hate dicks who put their feet on the buddy pegs on sport bikes), but who knows?

thanks for the positive juice...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Tha Nutz said:

well, now, thinking here strictly of design/layout, isnt it a bit long (in the tail) for full cafe treatment, ala rearsets ??

I refer mainly to the space behind the powerplant vs the stock front geometry & fork length ..

as in the guys that have a totally stock triumph front section, fork, tank & all, then put some long bolt-on tail on ..

it's all about proportions, especially if youre setting up with such gear indicating it will be "used in anger", to borrow a timeless Brit racer phrase ..

just me ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Well, most drag bikes are long and have rearsets and look bitchin. Plus, once he does more work on the bike, I'm sure the area under the seat will get filled with something, be it an oil bag, electrics box or something. Then the proportions won't be off.

Dragon said:

well, now, thinking here strictly of design/layout, isnt it a bit long (in the tail) for full cafe treatment, ala rearsets ??

I refer mainly to the space behind the powerplant vs the stock front geometry & fork length ..

as in the guys that have a totally stock triumph front section, fork, tank & all, then put some long bolt-on tail on ..

it's all about proportions, especially if youre setting up with such gear indicating it will be "used in anger", to borrow a timeless Brit racer phrase ..

just me ..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts