Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I run a super e on my pan now, but have been thinking about switching over to a su. I have a friend that swears that the su is the best carb for kick only bikes and is a much better performing carb than a s&s. I really have no problems with my super e, but I get bored and like to change shit up now and then. Any opinions from people who have ran both?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I used to market SUs years ago and they work well. #1 problem is that they stick out too far. They lack an accelerator pump and the choke system dosen't carry over to bikes all that well. We used them when there wasn't a lot of options for HiPo carbs for bikes. There are much better built for bikes options now.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
well, DG, i have been told that the best damn carb you can EVER run is a stock Keihn CV, with the thunder jet (or whatever ya call it.......). seeing as my Mikuni took a shit on me, and i don't have the coin to come up with any aftermarket carb, i am going to be running that CV (that ran me 40 big ones) with the thunder jet (about 100 for that) when i get the Ironhead in running order. until then, i prefer the holly two barrel on my pick-up for economy. for PERFORMANCE, the 750 double pumper on my stroker (69 Elky.........383ci)

·
Registered
625 Posts
had an SU on a pan.. it ran fine..
moved to an S&S B.. it ran fine, just not as big and in the way.
sold the pan bought a shovel and put a S&S B on it

took off my s&s and replaced it with a stock cv off a 97 dyna
i've had really good luck with stock CV carbs on shovels (not just mine)
guys take stock ones off all the time so they can put on s&s...

dont know too much about SU anymore.. but i'd go with a CV carb 1st.
my .02

butche

·
Registered
583 Posts
Iv'e been running a Bendix with the adjustable main jet for a long time. It's not a big power maker like the S&S, but it's dependable and easy to work with. I just put an S&S Super E Shorty on an 1980/80" Sturgis model, that I put togather for a friend. The early S&S carbs got a lot of bad pr, But I was impresed with the quality of the kit. Everything was there, it all fit well, the instuctions/tuning guide was very good and it worked well. I avoided their carbs in the past but would consider one in the future. The only draw back with the Mukuni carbs is changing altatude and having to pop the top and reposition the needle on the side of the road. (loose that little clip and your Fu**ed! On our way back from Sturgis a couple years ago we went to Yellowstone. The road to the East entrance is 10,000 feet in elev. On my 74 with the bendix, as we went up and the carb went rich, I just reached down and turned the main in a little as needed. On my wifes 65/ 650 Tri w/dual Mukunies, we had to stop twice and pop the tops to lower the needles. Then on the way back down to sea level we had to do it again twice. Other than that, those carbs have been great on the Tri..

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
DG ALLIN said:
I run a super e on my pan now, but have been thinking about switching over to a su. I have a friend that swears that the su is the best carb for kick only bikes and is a much better performing carb than a s&s. I really have no problems with my super e, but I get bored and like to change shit up now and then. Any opinions from people who have ran both?
I swapped from an S&S B to an SU on my old shovel and it never started as easily with the SU. It seemed to need a lot of fussing and fettling, whereas the S&S just sat there and did its job. Once the bike was running, there was no difference between the two carbs. But the SU looked cooler!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts