Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to get my 73 xlch running went through everything on the motor but couldnt make it run, finally put the s&s super e off my shovel on it, fired up first kick and runs perfect. The original carb on the ironhead was a super e as well and it would only run with the enrichener on, as soon as I shut the enrichener off it died. So maybe a passage is clogged in the carb?? how do I fix this or is there something else that would cause this?
Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have you checked the numbers on the jets to see if they are the same from carb to carb? If they are the same, then I would suspect a dirty carb. Disassemble carefully (don't lose the balls and spring on the accelerator pump. You are warned!), clean with aerosol carb cleaner, blast with compressed air. I soak the jets in cleaner overnight. Clean all passages thoroughly.

Then do it again! Haha, just effin' witcha.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Most likely the jets are clogged. I remove the bowl and use a torch tip cleaner to clean em out. Don't hurt to check acc pump diaphragm too. If the pump diaphragm is good, check to see that the squirter in the throat is squirting. If not, it is usually a clog at the tip of the sprayer. I use a feeler guage to "wipe" the slot in the end, and then apply air, with some brake cleaner to check the "squirt". If it works, and the jets are clean, it should fire up. Jet sizes are important too, but if they are clogged, it don't matter how big or small they are.

·
Registered
689 Posts
the e carb is very easy to rebuild. go down to the local shop and buy a rebuild kit. The kit will have an exploded view of the carb. to help you with reassembly. Buy a gallon of carb cleaner and soak the body once disassembled and then blow with compressed air through all the passages and ports, reassemble, and follow the instructions included with the kit on how to tune the idle mixture screw and accelerator pump.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make sure that you have the little blue o-ring installed correctly when you put the bowl back on. That one tiny part will wreak havoc with it running correctly.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. Just talked to a friend who has a rebuild kit he only used a couple parts out of. Gonna get into it tomorrow and see what I can fuck up. Jets are new and the same size so dont think thats the issue. Thanks for the heads up on the accelerator pump too. Took me two weeks before my dumb ass swapped the carbs now I'm kinda curious what it will do on the shovel, going to try that first. My bikes would be even further from running if it wasn't for the help here, thanks again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts