Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i have a s&s super e and it was running great super fast at highway speeds, around town a little rich so I droped the int jet from 295 to 28 and i had a 66 main.
it ran rough and idled like shit always wanted to die. so i turned up the idle high to start and right away idled nice but no acceleration.

now i brought it to my old buddy who has been wrenching for 40 years on harleys and has a s&S super e to diaL this cunt in and when he turned the mixture in to lean it out it stumbles and wantds to die. turn it out to richin it up and u can turn it all the way out and it does nothing. i take it for a ride and wont accelerate at all just boggs down and its a bitch to start??
any ideas??
stock 1974 ironhead kick only super e carb electronic ignition.
timing is bang on and push rods are adjusted correctly
no intake or exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Sounds like something clogged in the carb, or the float not set correctly. Or advance weight springs broken.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the carb and manifold are on solid but im leaning towards intake leak on the rear cylinder. back plug was white and front looked barley used. even tho i checked for leaks and found nothing im going to spray some fluid around the manifold tonihgt after work.

so i put the old jets back in and im gunna try again without the o ring intake seals. and use the rubber bands....
if i can figure out a hundred percent that the intake is tight. i only say this cuz it ran good before. or atleast better . then ill take the carb apart again

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Becareful not to bury the A/F mixture screw to tighly itll punch a hole in the inside of the carb from the point on the screw !!!..Then carb will be junk.

·
Registered
185 Posts
A 66 main sure sounds too small to me. Is the acc pump working? With the air cleaner off, twist the throttle and check for a gas spray. And be sure the small blue O-ring is in place when you put the bowl on.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i dont tighten mixture screw down tight. i have seen them crack there.
ya S&S told me they send out carbs for 1000cc ironheads with 66 and 28 jets.
I might order a 68 to be safe.
ya acc. pumps working
blue oring is in

·
Registered
522 Posts
A 66 is NOT too small for an Ironhead. I've run a 72 main in 107" S&S motors and they ran like a bat out of hell.

Check out your intake leaks like you mentioned.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts