Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do ya'll figure?

i have a '75 ironhead chopper with a super B on it now and it runs like a champ. thing is, we built my frame/everything else to be as skinny as possible and now the carb hangs off like a big ugly tumor that i have to wrap my leg around. so, i'm thinking of getting an s & s super G shorty just because it's tiny.

any input??? does the super G run better? worse? the same?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh, no shit. alright then.

so you figure a super E shorty will do me just fine? i just don't wanna waste my dough on a smaller carb if it's only for looks and might not run as well.
after all, it ain't choppin' if you're shoppin'!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i figure the super E shorty should run just as good if not better so, i'm probably gonna bite the bullet.

while i'm at it, i should also ask...could i buy just the carb itself and use what i already have from the super B to instal it, or would i need to get the entire kit?

thanks for the help.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The super b I have on my shovel has treated me right. Although it sticks out a little too far... I know better than to fuck with a perfectly starting and running kick only vintage motor. I would say if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

·
Registered
324 Posts
the air cleaner covers of the B and E bolt holes dont line up, there is a difference! i had to deal with it before...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Capino, i hear ya. mine runs great too but, by the time there's an air cleaner on that thing it sticks out into next week. i've been contemplating running a velocity stack instead to slim things down. wonder how the ol' girl would run with one of those.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A super G would be way too fucking huge for just about any ironhead. The super E can have the other style enrichener in it allowing any air cleaner as stated. As stated, the CV would stick out less, is more tuneable, and would save you a ton of cash as they're all over ebay for nothing just about.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i don't know much about those CV carbs, never ran one or know anyone that has. they're smaller for sure but, do they run as good as an s&s? if so, why would anyone spend the $300-350 on an s&s when they can get a CV for $50-100?
any thoughts on running a velocity stack on the super b? might not be the best idea to jam a bunch of air into an old girl but, people do it all the time. then again, people do a lot of things...

·
Registered
431 Posts
i don't know much about those CV carbs, never ran one or know anyone that has. they're smaller for sure but, do they run as good as an s&s? if so, why would anyone spend the $300-350 on an s&s when they can get a CV for $50-100?
any thoughts on running a velocity stack on the super b? might not be the best idea to jam a bunch of air into an old girl but, people do it all the time. then again, people do a lot of things...
You answered your own question! S&S carbs look mondo cool, but they are nowhere near a CV in terms of performance. Too bad the CV looks so utilitarian, as it is the BEST carb Harley has EVER ran and way better than most of the aftermarket carbs, especially on older hemi chambered bikes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts