Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so its worth $300-400 bucks? Also where would I have to drill the hole (sorry Im an idiot and have never aftermarket oil pump) or is there some kind of documentantion so I dont F it up?

G

·

The S&S crankcase oil passage drilling jig is used to perform crankcase drilling modifications when installing an S&S oil pump assembly on early big twin crankcases. Made of hardened steel for durability, this fixture enables the builder to do four modifications.

Drill jig is used to drill:
  • Primary chain oil supply passage from the breather valve gear cavity to the back side of the oil pump body on late generator and early alternator crankcases.

• Pressure relief passage from behind the main oil pressure valve to the gear cavity on alternator crankcases.

• Crankshaft and main bearings supply passage on generator crankcases.
  • Crankshaft and main bearings supply passage on early alternator crankcases.
You will get instructions with the pump from S&S showing how to install...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Sinks,
the stock factory pumps have little to no psi at idle, that alone is worth the price to me but, 300/400 bucks compared to a overhaul......ya.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Check out what kit you are getting. some come with drive gears and breather gear and are more expensive than the standard basice pump, bolt and gasket kit. You could also get the speed up gears and use a good stock pump for less $$$.

G

·
A word on the S&S breather gear....

It has a few up-grades to it....

One is ....
More window timing built in....
The Oem gears would be in need of sawing the case window to add open timing to maximize breather efficiency....

I would be asking why this need to be done....
Harley didn't do it....Right..??

Here's why...

Improper breather timing causes poor oil scavenging from flywheel cavity and incorrect air pressure.
These conditions may cause unwarranted engine oil leaks around gaskets and seals and probable oil burning due to oil blow by past piston rings.

Two.....
Breather oil trap scavenging is significantly improved by increased scavenge port duration.

These improvements are the result of exhaustive research using digital sampling and data acquisition equipment by S&S engineers...

===================================================================

If you wanted to do a little work....
You can mod. the OEM gear to the S&S specks....

The one on the right is an S&S with the screen removed for adding a air ramp to it..
On the left is a Stock one that was mod. on the pull back port....

And set up a degree wheel to dial in the open and closing timing of the case window....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·

These was a Bad Ass pump....
Too bad they are not being made anymore..

PRO-FLOW OIL PUMP FOR BIG TWIN MODELS

After nearly two years of development the Pro-Flow Big Twin oil pump is ready for high performance service. Pro-Flow found that the stock oil pump provides an inadequate supply of overheated oil, especially in a performance application. This is because both stock and aftermarket designs split the feed into two sections being the tappets & top end, and the bottom end. A certain RPM level must be reached before the regulating valve opens allowing oil to be fed to the crankshaft. This may increase the risk of starving the pistons of that all-important cooling lubrication. Low RPM oil supply is poor and the overall volume of oil being run through the engine is marginal, at best. This was allowed to happen for years because the OEM Harley roller bearing engine design is very forgiving in a stock form, but add increased pressure due to high compression, big bore and/or stroke, along with tall gearing and you have got the recipe for piston galling and reliability problems. Pro-Flow designed an oil pump based on the proven design in the Sportster version of the Pro-Flow pump, the Big Twin pump shares the gerotor gear feed for constant supply, and spur gear return for its ability to efficiently pump air as well as oil. To meet the Big Twin engine's need, several gear sizes were designed and tested with the objective of getting the oil in and out of the engine at an optimum rate. The next step was to control what it lubricated. An adjustable valve body was designed using easily removable jets to control the oil to the top end and crankshaft independently, allowing the oil supply from the Pro-Flow pump to be constant to both at all RPM's. Once maximum oil pressure is achieved, a pressure relief passage opens and directs excess oil back to the oil tank, unlike the stock system which continuously heats and recirculates the same oil within the pump. The end result is fantastic. The Pro-Flow Big Twin pump feeds twice the amount of oil into the engine and returns three times as much as the stock pump, at stock pump drive ratio. It is fully adjustable for pressure and flow-rate, accepts stock oil lines, and requires no machine work to install. Beautifully CNC machined from billet aluminum, its clean, functional appearance and satin finish will enhance the looks of any Big Twin engine as well as improve its performance and reliability. Special slotted mounting hole allows installation on all Evolution Big Twin models from late 1984 thru 1999.

I have installed many of them....

Got one my my Buell
and had one on the XR back in the day...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm interested in the mention of, "upgrading" the stock oil pump (system) to the S&S specs. Is the modification to the breather gear the only mod, or is there more you can, or should do to the stock pump system? I've got an S&S pump on one bike, and a stock pump on a '71 FL. And I was thinking about upgrading the '71 pump, but don't want to drop the coin on another S&S if I don't need to. School me please.

G

·
And I was thinking about upgrading the '71 pump, but don't want to drop the coin on another S&S if I don't need to. School me please.
I would think that the pump needs to be taken off for a hard look at all ware zones.....Then if it passes the Look-See a few up grades could be done...

Speed up gears could be a grand idea.
Perhaps a Higher spring rate on the pressure relief valve, Or a Pro-Ajust

·
Registered
457 Posts
71 oiling system can be upgraded to feed the tappets first, and rod bearings second. Better for hydrolic units. The little S&S jig will facilitate that as well. S&S instruction booklets are exellent reference material and are avaliable on their web site for free.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i bought one when i stroked my shovel coz my stocker was getting wore out,i felt it was pricey but its been a good pump,the drilling parts a breeze and when your torquing the bolts keep turning the drive gear in the cam chest as per instructions,coz it can bind, and a slight adjustment can be made to insure smooth running.. so far im sold on s&s pumps..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.