Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Australia, original cool chopper parts are as rare as rocking horse shit. I wanted a S&S mushroom setup for my S&S 'L' carb, and gave up trying to find an original cover or stack to fit. So this lot is hand-made: the cover was cast by Chopper Dave then cleaned up and polished this end, and the stack was hand turned by a friend of mine out of (shh) billet aluminium. I'm stoked with the result, considering we had no access to original parts (even for reference).

Bicycle part Rim Gas Nickel Cylinder

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Headlamp Gas

·
Registered
372 Posts
Guy said:
Here in Australia, original cool chopper parts are as rare as rocking horse shit. I wanted a S&S mushroom setup for my S&S 'L' carb, and gave up trying to find an original cover or stack to fit. So this lot is hand-made: the cover was cast by Chopper Dave then cleaned up and polished this end, and the stack was hand turned by a friend of mine out of (shh) billet aluminium. I'm stoked with the result, considering we had no access to original parts (even for reference).

View attachment 8005

View attachment 8006
Damn, very nice. That would look good on a hot rod too.

·
Registered
884 Posts
why don't someone cast one of those covers that would work on an air filter? lose the stack but keep the cover. then make it big enough to cover a filter. is this a good idear or is it just me thinking out loud again? i know mr landstrom would prolly do it if there was enough interest. btw good work on the bell.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boa said:
looks cool, nice job. what foam did you use for the filter element?
Ha! No foam! It's basically an open stack with the cover (which has a pointed bit which goes down the stack mouth), exactly like the originals.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Guy said:
Ha! No foam! It's basically an open stack with the cover (which has a pointed bit which goes down the stack mouth), exactly like the originals.
yep, same principle as Randy Smith's "bird deflectors", just there to keep your leg from choking the venturi, with some flow from the cone ..

hey, wonder if you might can get one of those "new" aluminum Hi-bond kicker pedals from those guys .. might still be worth extra postage to down under & then back to Florida if I could actually end up with one ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tony Bones said:
Was that cast off a polished cover? The originals have more sandcasting. Or did you polish yours after casting?
You're right, it was rough cast (like the originals) when I got it, but a little rough around the edges, so polishing it up was the way to go.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Peanuts said:
Classy. The guy who warns "You steal my shit, I hunt you down and kill you" on his website now steals shit from S&S.
Hey, fuck you. There was no stealing involved. Maybe you should learn to establish the facts before opening your ignorant mouth. Prick.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For a first post, you sure seem to want someone to piss on your head, shit on your face, punch you in the balls and kick you the fuck out of here. Hey, here's some easy advice to welcome you to the JJ: (a) follow the rules and post an intro before you post, and (b) fuck off.

Peanuts said:
Classy. The guy who warns "You steal my shit, I hunt you down and kill you" on his website now steals shit from S&S.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Mr. Landstrom has made those in the past along with the original style filtered ones with raised lettering not the die cast filters. But he cannot (or at least should not) sell anything with S&S written on it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
a couple of pics just for the hell of it. these were taken at my friends shop in frisco ca. he's using it for an inscence burner. how cool is that? and yes i'm going to try to pry this piece out of his hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jbfrmca said:
a couple of pics just for the hell of it. these were taken at my friends shop in frisco ca. he's using it for an inscence burner. how cool is that? and yes i'm going to try to pry this piece out of his hands.
Cool! Wish I'd had that side-on shot for reference when I started. Would've been a whole lot easier ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Peanuts said:
Actually... ChopperDave is in the process of helping S&S get a mold/copy of the mushroom cover that they have lost over the years.

I deal with S&S quite a bit and they're pretty stoked with Dave's help.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nelson said:
Actually... ChopperDave is in the process of helping S&S get a mold/copy of the mushroom cover that they have lost over the years.

I deal with S&S quite a bit and they're pretty stoked with Dave's help.
Thanks for clearing that up Nelson. Didn't want to put words in Dave's mouth ...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I did make a small number of them yes, but they are not for sale.
i did sell a few to a couple of my friends, but thats it and i am not making more. i initially did make them for a few of the guys at S&S, and i am not doing any more unless the guys at S&S want more.

i am doing my own version of the mushroom stack cover and will actually have my first ones next week.

I have the utmost respect for S&S and always have.
I have no reason to try and pull something over on them.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts