Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a 78 shovel with a B carb, wont hold an idle for shit, but im really not familiar with SS carbs at all, atleast not this one. got a sick deal i couldnt say no to on this bike. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

krapp

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
If you'll go to the S&S website they have installation and tuning instructions for the Super B, along with instruction sheets for about every product they make.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Where your bike needs the idle mixture screw set depends on a LOT of different things. If the intermediate jet has been changed, it changes the mixture. Yep, 1 1/2 out is a good place to start, but that's probably not the best setting you can get. With the bike warmed up and the idle at about 900 rpm's start screwing the mixture screw in, when the rpms start to drop or the idle starts to get rough, back the screw out half a turn and you'll be real close. Now that's one of about 4 adjustments that need to be checked on the carb. When all of the adjustments are set right (and points and timing right) the B is a pretty good carb, if your knee bends sideways and you can roll the throttle on instead of just nailing it to the stop.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yes Larry T! You hit it on the head with mention of the ignition system being checked out. Alot of piss poor idling is from shitty points, or loose advance weights, etc. Remember folks, a 78 was the last year for good old points. My experience with stuff tells me that once your carb is dialed in, you hardly ever need to mess with it. But points need to be checked fairly regularley.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks alot to all of you, ill post some pictures tommorow, before i start raping it. its set up to shift 1up 3down, not the most fun in the world to upshift, kind of confusing, anyone ride like this, like it hate it, pain in the dick to switch it back??

krapp

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
el_butche said:
1 up 3 down is a racing setting...
for quicker easier faster shifts.
bam
bam
bam
you're there....
i used to do that on my sporty then i went jockey my big twins

butche
if its to much of a bitch to get use to ill change it, for now its not bad, downshifting to a stop is a little weird the first time

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
el krapp said:
thanks alot to all of you, ill post some pictures tommorow, before i start raping it. its set up to shift 1up 3down, not the most fun in the world to upshift, kind of confusing, anyone ride like this, like it hate it, pain in the dick to switch it back??

krapp
If you have the stock 78 transmission, you should be able to change the pattern by changing the linkage on the rachet top. If the shifter linkage hangs down (FL style) you can put an FX shift arm (to the top) on it and vice versa.
But I've been wrong before--regularly.
Larry T

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
el krapp said:

krapp
1 up 3 down is the lazy way, if its a cowpie 4 speed, the person might have had it as jockey? or hand shift? then converted to foot without flipping the plate upside down on the tranny because you have to pull the primary...

ask me how i know because i had to do it yesterday switching a bike from jockey to foot.

·
Registered
257 Posts
el_butche said:
1 up 3 down is a racing setting...
for quicker easier faster shifts.
bam
bam
bam
you're there....
i used to do that on my sporty then i went jockey my big twins

butche
This shift pattern is used so up shift can be made at full lean in the corner without scrubbing your foot because your under the lever. Down shifting almost always occurrs before entering the corner.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Larry T said:
If you have the stock 78 transmission, you should be able to change the pattern by changing the linkage on the rachet top. If the shifter linkage hangs down (FL style) you can put an FX shift arm (to the top) on it and vice versa.
But I've been wrong before--regularly.
Larry T
yeah the linkage goes to the bottom, its and open belt primary so access shouldnt be that bad, im gonna ride it this way and see what happens maybe change it maybe not

1 - 17 of 17 Posts