Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '97 Sportster (bought used) and just replaced the primary cover gasket. I bought a shifter shaft oil seal (rubber) figuring I'd swap that out while I had the cover off but, I couldn't figure out how to get it out. Parts book shows a bushing and the oil seal, I figured the seal was pressed into a groove in the bushing because there was brass on either side of the seal, but I wasn't sure so I didn't mess with it. Out of curiosity I went to the dealer and they pulled a bushing off the shelf. Short, thin and no groove for a seal. We looked at a later model Sporty and you could see the seal at the outside of the primary cover. Did this design change or did someone bastardize my shifter shaft oil seal and bushing?

·
Registered
186 Posts
The seal covers the bushing, I don't think there's any contact at all. Just pry the old one out with a screwdriver(carefully). Grease the shaft or put a wrap of electrical tape on the splines to keep from damaging your new seal and tap it into place with a deepwell socket.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's how it looked on the Sporty in the dealers lot, I think it was a 2000, but, on mine the seal is sandwiched between two brass bushings or set in a groove in the middle of one. When you look at where my shifter shaft enters the primary you see brass bushing flush with the primary cover. It looks thicker than the bushing the parts guy showed me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts