Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Some of you know me from the HAMB or other places. I'm much more of a hot rod guy that a bike guy so, I don't hang around here too much.

My dad recently acquired this Indian and we're not really sure what to do with it. I thought I'd throw a couple pictures up on here and see what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Someone find this guy that first post from a new member. It was dubbed the greatest into ever. It might have been a VL? Total rusty pile of crap. The guy did a full rebuild and used the metal legs of an outside table to make the exhaust.

That would be inspiration to show it can be all saved.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Someone find this guy that first post from a new member. It was dubbed the greatest into ever. It might have been a VL? Total rusty pile of crap. The guy did a full rebuild and used the metal legs of an outside table to make the exhaust.

That would be inspiration to show it can be all saved.
It was a DL. Great thread:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39835

Nice Indian. I would love to have come across that. Build it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It must be contagious. I just had an email from a friend in Ireland saying that he picked up a 101 Scout. Apparently complete except for the seat.

By weslake at 2011-10-13

·
Registered
833 Posts
That's not a 101 Scout.
This is a 101 Scout frame. Not the differences to the front down tubes where they mee the bottom frame rail.

I thinkyou've got an early Cheif. Note lack of front brake and incorrect cylinder heads for a Scout.
1924 Cheif:

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I don't know Indians so I'm going by what he told me. Apparently its a left over war Indian. He says its complete except for the seat and springs.

·
Registered
838 Posts
drd 57 Looks like a 24 25 26 or so Chief. no front brake and a external contracting rear bake. I think 1928 was the first year for a front brake and also 1st year for drop center rims. hard to tell about the engine from the angle. Chief would have a magnito in front of the front cylinder with the splitdorf generator mounted right under it. The 101 or even the early scout had it (the generator) mounted on the seat post driven off the primary.Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I agree with the 1924 Indian Chief. That year featured a new oil pump, wider and longer handlebars. It also had a split handlebar bracket added as well as a tank bracket for handlebar control wires. There was a mid-season change to the "pull-action" front forks, with longer rockers and a new front fender. This might help, there was a late-season primary drive legend on the clutch housing that read: "Indian Motocycle Co. Sprindfield Mass. USA" The company had changed it's name in 1923 so it is a way to tell the year as well. I can't really tell much from the pictures. If you could post some more maybe through photobucket so they can appear large in the post? I'd love to help identify this.

Also, speaking of Indians. Is anyone from the So-Cal area going to the NHRA museum tomorrow (Saturday) for Indian Day and a chance to get to see Burt Munro's 1929 Scout started up and ridden! For all of you who aren't going to be able to make it because of location or other reasons, I'm gonna be snapping some photos up and posting them to my site. I will put some on here as well!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.