Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the hole story on running i triumph unit 650 or 500 with out primary cover and yes with the stock chain and clutch i am not spending a shit load on no belt drive unit (unless you got one for sale cheap).I have heard that only works on certain years because of the oiling.Do you guys know exactly what the story is .I love building triumphs and want to do one with open chain and need the facts because i want to ride this fucker not just look at it or get covered in oil riding it.THANKS for the help JEFF

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hatch said:
71 or newer 650's have no crankshaft oil seal, so an open primary is a major re-do.
Thanks Hatch i remember you telling me when i was at you place this summer but couldn't remember the cut off year. THANKS And Merry Christmas my friend

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Jeff....actually the new style crankcase vent system started in 1970. It's noticable by the vent tube running up and out the back of the bike along the fender. I would think that any triumph with this system wont work easily with an open primary. I don't know about the 500's, but they probably started the same year, but that's a guess. Merry Christmas to you and your family too....hatch

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I guess it won't work on my 67 bonny.

hatch said:
Jeff....actually the new style crankcase vent system started in 1970. It's noticable by the vent tube running up and out the back of the bike along the fender. I would think that any triumph with this system wont work easily with an open primary. I don't know about the 500's, but they probably started the same year, but that's a guess. Merry Christmas to you and your family too....hatch

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
I cant see anything major as a problem. I wouldn't worry about a little extra dirt or moisture if I was looking for a certain "look", and the primary chain isn't an expensive piece. For years, I ran my rear chain with little or no lube just to keep the bike cleaner. I would think clutch friction plates would get a shorter life too, but once again....not a big deal.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well... I run '69 cases, with the primary open..

I have a triple chain and a LP Williams 7 plate clutch.

What I always did/do is lube the chain with a motocross chainlube. It doesn't splatter very much, and doesn't attract much dirt.
I always thought it would work great. Actually, so far it always did.

A month or two ago (during one of my last rides, before winter came) I dropped by at a friend's place. The guy is a pretty famous top fuel Harley dragracer, and he has more know how of bikes then most of us together overhere...
He noticed my open chain, and immediately told me I was crazy. He pointed at a brownish colored dust that could be seen on certain places on the chain. he told me it was corrosion, caused by heat from the chain running on the sprockets and the tensioner. To make a long story short, he told me that if I would keep running my chain like that, it would eventually break from all the heat. maybe after 1000 miles, maybe after 2000, maybe after 500. he told me it was very bad for the chain.

I only thought it would affect the clutch a little... I would still like to know what the difference is between clutch plates that can be run dry or wet... Or is there no difference (Maybe I should ask our dragracer friend... Duh!!). My clutch still looks perfect, and it operated great.

Anyways... I scored a finned primary cover during my holidays and I'm gonna install that, with a little oil bath, so my primary chain gets lubed and cooled a little.

Now, the other side of the story.. I talked to Sinner Dustin. He has been running his primary (with duplex chain) open for about 3 years now. He lubes it with motocross chainlube before very run too, and he never had a problem before he told me.

It still DOES look very bitchin'... But I think a finned cover won't misstand on my bike..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
I only thought it would affect the clutch a little... I would still like to know what the difference is between clutch plates that can be run dry or wet... Or is there no difference (Maybe I should ask our dragracer friend... Duh!!). My clutch still looks perfect, and it operated great.

Anyways... I scored a finned primary cover during my holidays and I'm gonna install that, with a little oil bath, so my primary chain gets lubed and cooled a little.

Now, the other side of the story.. I talked to Sinner Dustin. He has been running his primary (with duplex chain) open for about 3 years now. He lubes it with motocross chainlube before very run too, and he never had a problem before he told me.

It still DOES look very bitchin'... But I think a finned cover won't misstand on my bike..

Thanks for the insight, I have been debating on that issue and it looks like the cover wins. I do not have the expertise on bike clutches as most here but I do know in karting we had different friction disc materials for wet and dry applications, I would assume the same would hold true here. Your friends comments make perfect sense to me, we would replace chains after a weekends racing due to the heat/friction factor and they would get a ceramic lube prior to each session.

Your bike is by far one of the nicest Triumphs out there with or without a primary cover with or without fins.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Craven Moorhead said:
Thanks for the insight, I have been debating on that issue and it looks like the cover wins. QUOTE]

triumph clutch likes it dry, chain likes it wet
id rather burn a clutch than throw a primary chain anyday
those bad boys can hole a case,a leg or send you skittering down the road

youd be surprised how many running unit primaries ive seen bone dry
check and change your oil ...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Well... I run '69 cases, with the primary open..

I have a triple chain and a LP Williams 7 plate clutch.

What I always did/do is lube the chain with a motocross chainlube. It doesn't splatter very much, and doesn't attract much dirt.
I always thought it would work great. Actually, so far it always did.

A month or two ago (during one of my last rides, before winter came) I dropped by at a friend's place. The guy is a pretty famous top fuel Harley dragracer, and he has more know how of bikes then most of us together overhere...
He noticed my open chain, and immediately told me I was crazy. He pointed at a brownish colored dust that could be seen on certain places on the chain. he told me it was corrosion, caused by heat from the chain running on the sprockets and the tensioner. To make a long story short, he told me that if I would keep running my chain like that, it would eventually break from all the heat. maybe after 1000 miles, maybe after 2000, maybe after 500. he told me it was very bad for the chain.

Damn that is the perfect picture..that one deserves being framed on the wall!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
The duplex primary chain on my T100 looks close to a #35 industrial chain (times two). I can't find an o-ring chain smaller than #40. Anyone know ehere I can find a #35 o-ring chain? McMaster doesn't have them, and a google search got me nowhere.

Trumpnut said:
I run a o-ring on my primary . Its a preunit so its just a close fit to a 480 chain . It might wear quiker but who cares it looks cool . Here is a pic of it during mock up .

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't know of any duplex o-ring chain. A friend recently told me he had located a source for size 428 o-ring chain. He said this fixed the incurable oil leak from the primary chaincase on his Atlas.

Hey Trumpnut, Good to see you on the JJ.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Flyin' Dutchman said:
Teach.... I have to go to the store to have some enlargements made for Caffeine anyways..
If you want I can get you a 12"x18" of it.. :) Costs about 20 - 25 bucks I think... (that's shipping included)
Count me in for sure for one..I have the number 7 issue of dice as well..great shots! I just brought my Triumph to school last night..we will strat woking on it after x-mas break.
Respects
TEACH

1 - 20 of 23 Posts