Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this has probably been covered before but I cant find it when I do a search.

I need to know what is needed to run a battery less system on a 73 ironhead, yes iam running points.

any info appreciated!

Thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
with points ? a battery.

otherwise you need a magneto for the ignition. the generator will put out enough juice to power the coil but you would have to push start the bike to spin it up fast enough to produce any useable electricity. you can also get by with a ittybitty dirtbike battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I thought that I just need a capacitor.?:confused:

lilbill said:
with points ? a battery.

otherwise you need a magneto for the ignition. the generator will put out enough juice to power the coil but you would have to push start the bike to spin it up fast enough to produce any useable electricity. you can also get by with a ittybitty dirtbike battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
No Good said:
Ok this has probably been covered before but I cant find it when I do a search.

I need to know what is needed to run a battery less system on a 73 ironhead, yes iam running points.

any info appreciated!

Thanx
I ran this scooter for a year or so with points and without a battery. It took a "magic box" kinda like the Mity Mites (I think) that the Triumph guys use. I don't remember the brand name, but I can probably find out. In fact, I still have the box around here somewhere. The body is black and it has finned aluminum heat sinks on both sides of it.
As I remember the main problem with the system was blowing headlight bulbs.
Larry T
BTW, yeah I put shorter shocks on the scooter later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would like to know more about this "magic box"!?! Has any one heard of it?

Larry T said:
I ran this scooter for a year or so with points and without a battery. It took a "magic box" kinda like the Mity Mites (I think) that the Triumph guys use. I don't remember the brand name, but I can probably find out. In fact, I still have the box around here somewhere. The body is black and it has finned aluminum heat sinks on both sides of it.
As I remember the main problem with the system was blowing headlight bulbs.
Larry T
BTW, yeah I put shorter shocks on the scooter later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,888 Posts
No Good said:
I would like to know more about this "magic box"!?! Has any one heard of it?
Do a web search for "motorcycle battery eliminator". Looks like Bat Pac and Accell have something, probably some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,840 Posts
Magneto Thesis:

The capacitor (a/k/a battery eliminator) acts somewhat like a battery. It stores energy, albeit temporarily, and keeps your headlights from flickering when generator output is low (like idling at a stoplight). The capacitor will also store voltage as you're kicking your ass off, and will eventually provide enough juice to spark the engine. I don't know how long, but there are plenty of people that run permanent magnet alternators or generators with no battery.

Mags are nice because their entire existence is dedicated to firing your plugs. They do nothing else. When your generator decides to take a dump, the mag will continue firing your plugs (probably for years to come). Mags were originally used when batteries were scarce (Ford 2N tractors were produced with mag ignition during WWII) or when racers wanted to do away with generators, batteries, timers, and coils.

It's easier to run generator bikes with batteries than without. This is a wild-ass guess, but I think many (very) early bikes ran mags because battery technology wasn't all that. Small piston aircraft use two of them when they only require one. They're both reliable but who wants to take a chance with only one? Without the reliability of the mag, the aircraft's charging system could fail, the battery could run dry, and the plane would crash.

Lecture over.

No Good said:
Ok this has probably been covered before but I cant find it when I do a search.

I need to know what is needed to run a battery less system on a 73 ironhead, yes iam running points.

any info appreciated!

Thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
No Good said:
Thanx for the info. I think I will look for a used morris mag. I dont want to pay 800 bucks for one!:mad:
800 is a used one. but buck is the man i wouldnt look anywhere else he has taken care of me on many ocations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
DAMN ! like a bad penny mention my name enough and i show up. priciate tha good words guys. firs,no good, find a joe hunt genny mag (simplistic fixed position mag) or a MM74 E or MM74L morris mag head used, long as tha body and tha rotor are good, i can convert it to fit yer sporty for around 450$ rebuilt depending on tha condition of yer doner, and ive risen some complete junk out of tha ashes.... ive even adapted a hunt mag to fit my lil triumph single cyl project, why a mag? cause i despise any parasitic battery ignition, ignitions have come a long way over tha past 50 years, but batteries have changed little, and vibration kills most of em, thus their short lifspans in rigid bikes, a CORRECTLY
setup and good condition mag is worth every penny it costs, and as far as hookin tha lights in, one of tha lil 20$ capacitors will take the heart beat out of yer headlight at idle... you get ready give me a call 843 200 1563.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
EL MATADOR said:
Yep. Goodson's are definitely less money,
and made for a different crowd than mine are.
Goodson is an artist. I can't stay in the lines with crayons.

We come from similar but different
backgrounds, and our designs show those differences.
Mine came about from my wanting to solve a problem.
http://solutionsmachining.com/products/magnetocovers.html

Mine are available in Brass, Stainless, & Polycarbonate, as well.

I think there's room for both, and more.

Best,

Weyland
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Ooops. I apologize. Did not mean to disrespect you like that. Was not aware that you produce those. Just thought you were passing a link as an FYI.

I definately think the stock covers have to go. So either yours or the Goodson would be a good investment. Did not mean to say that the Goodson was/wasnt better than yours. Just me running my mouth cause I like the Goodson.


Again, sorry about that. (not that you seem too upset about my post... glad you made a humble reply, and to that... humble apologies) ;)
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top