Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now my bike is setup with a front disk and rear drum. I'm thinking about running a rear drum only (levered on the bars) to simplify things and I can't run a rear disk.

Would anyone advise against it? No stopping power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
stoppin on hill is rougher, and if back locks up your through....

that being said, im buildin a bar hopper, and until i can find a 21" mini drum, im gonna have no front brake, LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
ping deguello...

i believe hes runnin a drum only on the rear on his shovel..
do you like sitting out in the middle of intersections? :D

on my chop i run no front brake, a disc on the rear with dual calipers and that shit still fishtails out all the time if you dont anticipate your stops.

gonna try to run something on the front on the build im working on. how effective are those mini's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,256 Posts
My friend recently put one on his contraption and he says they work sort of ok up until around 30 (sort of). Really there just for holding you at a stop. I wouldnt rely on one in an emergency unless ive got a good quarter mile to slow down and stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
I run no front brakes on all of my stuff (the traffic isn't too hairy around here). My triumph has a drum on the back, it takes a while to slow it down but it gets the job done. I gotta stomp on the petal pretty hard to lock it up. The only way to find out if you can live with it, is to try it....

aj650 said:
Right now my bike is setup with a front disk and rear drum. I'm thinking about running a rear drum only (levered on the bars) to simplify things and I can't run a rear disk.

Would anyone advise against it? No stopping power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
bu7an3 said:
ping deguello...

i believe hes runnin a drum only on the rear on his shovel..
do you like sitting out in the middle of intersections? :D

on my chop i run no front brake, a disc on the rear with dual calipers and that shit still fishtails out all the time if you dont anticipate your stops.

gonna try to run something on the front on the build im working on. how effective are those mini's?
Maybe you've got a bit too much rear brake?

I run a single Tokiko (sp?) on my rear from Fab Kev and it rules...I can make it lock, if I want to...it's super linear and serves my needs just fine.
 

·
Atomic Custom
Joined
·
3,829 Posts
Well, I wouldnt if you like to stop when you want to.

Drum rear brakes work great for a sec, then they dont work too much after that (if you are coming off a freeway or something like that).

Its cool, but stopping is cool too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
vent teh rear drum before you try it, makes HUGE difference in fade... think about drilling the top of the drum where the pad makes contact ... say 2 very small holes 1/4" apart, every 3" around the drum? we do this with hot rods,.... drilling drums is just like drilling rotors, only makes wAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger difference, since drums suffer LOTS more from fade... or you could just drill side cover, but doesnt make as much of a diff, hard to drill top of drum on a bike, but i will be the first if noone else has!~!!! that ALONE makes an old car stop almost as nice as one with disk!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I've run juice drum on the rear for years. It works fine for me.
I don't know about all this "fading" talk, i've never experienced it.

I've never run mechanical drum, I hear their scary, but that's the same thing people said when I told them I was going to run rear juice drum only.

Have you ever ridden a Harley with a drum front brake? You might as well be riding one with a rear brake only. I've never gotten one to work worth a fuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,300 Posts
if guys drive model as with big blocks and blowers, no front brakes on teh street, a 400 lb bike should be oke as long as you dont ride like an idiot...

ps- might not do it on a harley though... depending on rear setup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
I run a rear mech drum only and it's a bit hairy sometimes but downshift like I can claim it on my taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
i say fuck it brakes are for pussies!












and people who like to stop:)
i'm runnin a cable operated rear drum only on my bsa for now at least, if it gets hairy i might consider a disc rear

was considering running it to the forwards for more stoppin power and hookin it in to a lever on the bars for hills? anybody have any thoughts on this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Where do you guys live? I live in the country and have had deer and dogs and even a mountain lion bolt out in front... thankfull for the front disk each time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
I'm running a jockey lid suicide with rear brake only right now on my pan...

had a few close calls but mostly cuz I was going too fast and fucking around..the next transtion will be the stroked pan back into the roiginal frame with drum rear only...that'll make it more fun with that slop top suicide..

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
VAsteven said:
What kind of bike is this going on?
It's going on a 650.

Another thing I forgot to figure was getting enough force to brake, torqueing down a small handlebar lever, vs. a longer foot brake lever.

thanks for the replies so far...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
568 Posts
growl said:
Where do you guys live? I live in the country and have had deer and dogs and even a mountain lion bolt out in front... thankfull for the front disk each time.
In the heart of a major city...no dear and very few dogs...lots of insane cabbies and suburban dorks wanitng to plow into one just for the sheer joy of it...and yes I go the suicide/jockey route.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
51rat said:
vent teh rear drum before you try it, makes HUGE difference in fade... think about drilling the top of the drum where the pad makes contact ... say 2 very small holes 1/4" apart, every 3" around the drum? we do this with hot rods,.... drilling drums is just like drilling rotors, only makes wAAAAAAAAAAAY bigger difference, since drums suffer LOTS more from fade... or you could just drill side cover, but doesnt make as much of a diff, hard to drill top of drum on a bike, but i will be the first if noone else has!~!!! that ALONE makes an old car stop almost as nice as one with disk!!!
Would like to see some pics of the drum after you vent it. Was thinking of doing it but never saw it done. I drilled the backing plate already.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top