Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.

As i mentioned in another thread i´m trying to build a hillclimb type of bike.

Erlier i got my hands on a Rudge 500 4-valve engine from the early thirties and now i have bought some more stuff. If things go my way the engine will be converted to methanol. The gearbox is a 3-speed BSA from the tirthies.

The tank on the pix are 1927 BSA Sloper but i don´t think i will use it. Maybe i will find a better looking tank later....

Some mockup pix for you guys.

Later // Patric

Attachments

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Interesting to say the least. Do you know who made the speedway frame? I always thought the subframe was a bolt on rather than welded. But then I don't know much about speedway. Thank God it wasn't a bronze head Ulster you got a hold of.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the frame is a little hard to get any info about.
The dude i got it from didn´t know much but by the looks of it i can get som clues:
It probably had a sidecar at some point.
It have had numeral rebuilds over the years
I believe it originally was built in the fifties.

Why not the Ulster? I would love to have the bronze head engine.

// Patric

·
Registered
790 Posts
very cool i'm jealous

take a look at my cz thread at the tank i have on that one i think it would look awesome on that frame type,i think i can get hold of one cheap for you and bring when i go to gävle next time

//janne

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
very cool i'm jealous

take a look at my cz thread at the tank i have on that one i think it would look awesome on that frame type,i think i can get hold of one cheap for you and bring when i go to gävle next time

//janne
Thanks Janne.

I would be very interested in a tank like that. I agree, it would fit like a glove on my project. If you find one, please give me a call. 070-527 22 92

I´m currently trying to figure this methanol-thing out. I got my hands on a Amal speedway carb so it´s the compression ratio and ignition issues to deal with. I´m quite confident that i will sort it out but there´s surprisingly little information on the net on this subject.

So far // Patric

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Why not the Ulster? I would love to have the bronze head engine.

// Patric
It's just me Patric. I've always felt that Ulsters were very special and stock is the only way they should be. But as I said that's just me. Years ago I came across a late 30s speedway frame. I had thought about sticking an old BSA engine I had in it but fate intervened in the form of a Manx Norton and the speedway frame and BSA engine was given to a friend. The last I saw about 15 years ago he still had the frame hanging on his garage wall. This is my friend. He is a Rudge fanatic.

By weslake at 2008-05-05

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Hoof, in general i agree with you.
If i had get more than the engine, i probably have tried to restore it. As it is, i only have the engine.

It is not likely that i would find enough parts here in Sweden to get a complete bike. In my opinion, it´s better that the engine gets to be used rather than being put on a shelf in my garage.

Anyways, i like bikes in all shapes and i have them in all shapes.
Stock, racing and chopper. There´s a bike for every occasion....

My 2 cents // Patric

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Patric, Have to agree with you. Having only the engine gives you free rein. It would be pretty difficult to build a complete Rudge starting with just an engine. And I do agree too that its way better to see an engine used rather than sitting on a shelf. I was trying, without success, to find a photo I have of a former speedway racer's garage. At the back of the garage is a wall that is from floor to ceiling with old speedway engines. I run two old Weslakes and it kills me to see all those engines wasting away.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the carb i want to use, i´m not sure it will work properly but as always, i´m learning by doing.
Double fuel inlets, oooh that´s sexy....

All for now // Patric

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Gruntis, that bike is very cool in so many ways.
I do have a couple of rudge cylinders and heads.....hmmmm....

Do you have any info on the builder etc?

// Patric

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dudes...

I´ve done some research about this methanol-thing and i think i got the hang of it now. I have also got some info on the engine.

Apparently, it´s from 1933 and the compression ratio is only 5,5:1. I´m thinking that if i could increase the comp to around 10-11:1 i don´t have to bother to convert it to methanol. The power should be enough, at least to begin with. This together with calculated dimensioning of intake and exhaust should do the trick. And of course, a good carb....

Suggestions are welcome.

Later // Patric

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi Puppete,

Your Spanish Square AMAL with twin floats must be at the minimum a 36mm carb, if not a 38... Theses were made for the German Long Track speedway... Might be a tad big for a 30's Rudge Python engine... At a guess, can't see it having anything bigger than a 30mm.

I run a vintage 1934 Terrot with methanol, it needs it and the comp is just over 9 to 1. Don't think your engine will like std gas/petrol with such a high ratio.

Methanol is fun, but oiling to cope for methanol is not so much fun... Castor oil, flushing oil etc...

Patrick (with a K at the end!!!)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi

Thanks for input.

I´m aware that this carb is a little big for my engine. It has a brass ring mounted to make it more narrow but it´s still 34 mm. I had some ideas on how to get around that but now it seems like that carb not will come to use.

I don´t really see why i couldnt use std petrol with that ratio? We are possibly talking about different things here but i have other bikes and they don´t seem to mind. Neither does my friends petroleum-converted Weslake.

Anyways, i´m learning by doing and this project is no exception. Hopefully i will tear it apart soon and do neccesary checking as well as fix what needs to be fixed. I just got my TIG welding machine so i will play with that this weekend....

Cheers // Patric

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hi, Puttete,

Just saying this engine is 30's technology, never mind that the Rudges are usually a bit better made than the rest.

Considering how much advance, shape of combustion chamber, dome on piston etc... you could wring out of it before pinking, bad plugs or worst, pulled studs and the like...

I know 9 to 1 don't sound like much today, but a Rudge TT pukka racer might only run at about 7 to 1 on std petrol and say 10 or 11 to 1 max on alcohol.

Patrick

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Fuel was bad but also plugs weren't developed enough to fire at very high compressions. Not a problem today (obviously!). But how will the bottom end stand up to a higher compression? I'd be more concerned about the bottom end than an extra bit of performance.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.