Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experiance with these? I'm trying to repair one that UPS kindly destroyed for me. Both spigots are broken and I'm attempting to resleeve the bores, problem is that the sleeves will be REAL close to the head bolt holes (especially the center 9th bolt). Has anyone successfully repaired a Routt cylinder? I want to run this reversed also so I'm wondering about temperature problems with the 800cc kits run in the stock position. If they run hot in stock position, will they tolerate being reversed? Heat barrier coatings will be used on the pistons and combustion chambers. Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
First I have Never messed with a 800 kit. That said, I have a 750 kit on the bench for my wifes 1965 650 chop. Wev'e had her bike on the road for about 5 years & 20,000 miles, ridden to sturgis and logged 3,300 miles on that trip. The reason I mention all this is that Iv'e had the engine apart for a broken crank ( at the primary gear shaft) and a thrown rod (a 1st to 2nd shift at arond 8,000 * at least it sounded like that.) She was racing a friends 1200 Sportster and winning at the time. Anyway each time the head gasket (copper) between the cylinders was black looking and appeared about to blow. Each time I checked the surfaces and the first time surfaced the head and cylinder. This is a weak spot with the 9 bolt heads, that's why the factory went to 10 bolts on the 750. My 750 kit looks scarry and I can imagine how your 800 kit looks. I'm going to look into adding a 10th bolt hole and would like to O-ring the head but it's so damd close, I don't know. I have heard from a realibity stand point that anything bigger than 750 is for racing and just too much of a pain on the street. Any chance UPS will give you enough for a 750 kit?? If not maybe someone here can give you the info you need. Good Luck.. PONY

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts