Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Re: Japan scene motor bikes

No, but a buddy is on both the single seat (shown) and the two seat version too. I just happened to be on the phone with him talking about it as you bumped this thread. The body is "The Praying Mantis", and it was desinged by the Himsl brothers in the late sixties and the mold was made by Steve Archer. He says the mold is still usable, but I'll be over there on Friday and take a look.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Pulled from the Japanese thread; I can see this having a life of it's own, so it gets it's own thread.
Thank you sir! Just as I hit "send" on the last post and jumped in the shower for a few I thought someone should start a single thread for this one. I didn't want to because I thought it would look self serving, even though I wouldn't be involved in the money end of it.You mean all I have to do is think of something and it happens 'round these parts?

We have one hitch, my buddy Roy that owns these molds has a weird sort of deal with Archer's daughter that if they were ever used for something for sale that she would get part of the profits. He hasn't talked to her in the batter part of twenty years. When I hung up the phone with him he was frantically (well, as frantically as Roy does stuff at least) digging through scrap paper and old contact books for her number. He is not the type to forget a promise...

I have to run over to his place on Friday and weld up a frame for yet another trike he has a body and soon mold for, ( this one was a really neat VW based trike from the early to mid seveties... And no, it's not that ugly abortion that you see when you close your eyes and think of VW trike...) when I do I promise I will shoot some picture of the molds and the boddies has had popped out of them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hey gang, i just remebered some pucture I shot about a year and a half ago around his back yard. I just kinda shot a shot into one of his storage sheds and at the back you can see one of the two seat "Praying Mantis" bodies that he had popped out of that mold about five or six years ago. I dont think he would mind if I showed it here.

The other is of his Roth Cobra Trike body that is now a functional, ridable trike.

As Luck would have it I found a picture of the molds as I was loading the other two! That's them!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I don't care what anybody says. This is still the greatest country in the world. Where else would you find such a finely accessorized back yard.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
I love those things, particularly with the crazy flames, the big seat like an LSD throne.

I really don't want to see them repopped and pimped on hipster biker blogs like so many things, but they are badass.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I love those things, particularly with the crazy flames, the big seat like an LSD throne.

I really don't want to see them repopped and pimped on hipster biker blogs like so many things, but they are badass.
Agreed. But hipsters wouldn't know a 45 flathead from their elbow. Let alone one like above with a himsl body and all the other bells and whistles.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Like to find one
Hi Scavanger, I didn't mean to jump the gun on posting this stuff as you and I had talked on P.m. the other day. The molds are definitely not for sale, but Roy did talk to me today about doing a very small number of these for sale, and they won't be too damn expensive. It will al depend on Roy at this point and his oath to the mold maker's daughter as to when this goes forward, but I will keep on top of him while he works the deal out. As he put it to me today, "You know me, I'm not a money man. I ust want to see these back on the road..."

·
Registered
440 Posts
That's the one that everybody sees when they close their eyes after someone says "VW trike". I'm not sure if that's Roth or not. The one that I'll be working on on Friday is a different deal altogther and It's really neat. It doesn't use a chunk of the VW torsion housing like that one and most do. These actually used either small coil overs or struts and radius rods. They are very cool. I'll see if I can borrow the early sevnties Chopper mag they were fetured in and scan and post.

Full disclosure guys. I am not a trike expert in any way. I am a hot rod guy who digs and dabbles with choppers. I am fairly fluant in pre unit Triumph as I own a few, but my knowledge of this little segment of this little world is limited to my association with my buddy Roy that owns these molds. i was just stoked that I could identify the molds and what they were! He was there and hung out with all these people. I really didn't know how deep he was into the trike deal until fairly recently. He tells all the stories and throws all the names and trike names so fast that my limited brain space can only keep up with maybe 30% of it. As it suits this thread I'll post more of his stories here if you want.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts