Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Which one?!
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Cow Pie trans with some parts. It needs a new counter shaft. Is there a reason to go with any over the others for a chopper build? 1977 and earlier VS 77-79 VS 1980 and up. And does anyone recommend a company that has a good rebuild kit for em?

·
Registered
407 Posts
There are four different countershafts but there is only three main differences in four speed countershafts. Nope, they don't all interchange.
The oldest didn't have an "o" ring to seal the shaft into the case bushing, they had a cover screwed on with a gasket.
The next was more or less the same with the "O" ring grove and no outer cover was used.
In the pic below, the top is the newest, bottom is the oldest that I had on hand at the time.
The diameters are different between the loose roller type and the draw cup needle roller type.
Note the grove on the threaded end of the middle shaft, that's a way to I D the early draw cup needle roller type shaft from the older loose roller type.
The top two are the draw cup needle roller type but note the retaining end.
One is threaded, the other has a slot a retainer tab fits into, the ball bearing retainer plate in the kicker end locks that one with a slot.

The countershaft you get needs to match what other parts you have.

Far as brand, I like USA made.

About that horse... does it matter if i wrote tech articles for the horse mag years ago?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Only kits are Jim’s and are stupid expensive - we buy selective in USA as dan had suggested its a pain as no one carries it all and some like eastern is dealer sales only

the bushing in the lid is always suspect if its bad look at the rails close as the hats for the shift forks are super hard and will when the bushing is walking wear the sides off the selector — they are only available in china maybe it works and is hard enough to survive -

we swap meet for lids and have bought a trans just to get a real selector for a resto bike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts