Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to swap the shift lever and arm on the Rotary tops?

Mine is the FXWG where the arm points down. I'm planning on building a set of mids and would like to switch to the FX style arm and lever, where the pivot is at the bottom instead of the middle ( like the FXWG ).

Can I just swap the arm and lever or do any of the internals need to be swapped?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Never done this with a rotary top, but if you change the pivot point from top to bottom, sounds like it will reverse the shift from one down, 3 up, to one up and three down. No internal changes needed, except in your brain.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
None of the internals change FX to FL on the rotary top transmissions. However, you need to change the external linkage as a set, not just the one lever. I remember selling some of these parts when I worked at the dealership and HD was pretty proud of them. I suspect that, by now, most of these parts are obsolete from HD. Here's a comparison pic, scanned from the HD parts book. The FXWG shifts like the FL.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, that's what I mean by arm and lever. Sorry my terms may have been confusing.

Cool thanks. I am going to swap the trans lever ( the rectangular piece ) and then the arm ( foot shift linkage attaches here) as well.

I'm building some mids and it looks like that angle would function better with mids than the downward angle of the FXWG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts