Jockey Journal Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
OK in my best armchair expert key strokes....

Maybe sell the tank and find something less tall, oh I see in the bottom pic you have. With the second tank either have the angle of the bottom match your bottom frame rail (level) or the top rail angle, its neither atm making the lines look odd. Put those tyres on an trials bike where they belong. Ditch the seat, go steal a road sign and make your own base that matches the frame. If it was me I'd add a FL rear gaurd minus the flip up section with the end being vertical but i dig that look. See I warned you I was an expert :) LOL

Besides that looks like a really good start!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
BTW Pete, I will be making the tank match the frame rail. Probably have the bottom match the top rail. I will be leaving the tires for now, but I may end up replacing them with these, eventually:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
thanks choprods. I made them on a whim. I think I'm going to build a jig and make another set, more precise this time.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Alright, folks. I have F%^& up majorly.

Had my cases apart, and got to looking at the trash on them from casting, so I got out the file. I smoothed out quite a few unsightly ridges, gouges, and lips. Then, I busted out the wire brush, and then, the sandpaper, and then, finer sandpaper... and polished a small area.

All of the sudden, the tiniest scratches looked like canyons, and the most minute pits started looking like moon-craters. My eyes bugged out, and I started feverishly sanding, filing, and buffing...

A few hours later, I looked at what I'd done. I'd smoothed out about 6 square inches on the primary side.

The sickness has struck. I'll be polishing the cases now, mourn my oncoming hermit-hood. Don't expect me to come out of my cave for weeks. I'm sure many of you could have warned me what would happen, but it took me unawares.

All that said, I could probably use some tips on cleaning these bastards up. They're hideous to my now opened eyes, and ironheads have notoriously awful casting. I'm going to search the forums for polishing threads and do some reading.

·
Registered
145 Posts
For rough castings I would just wire wheel it and give it a semi shine., too much polishing and it looks like billet, I dig your build man keep it up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dragstews, I feel like that guy, after this morning's adventure.

Infidel, thanks for the kind words!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
BTW Pete, I will be making the tank match the frame rail. Probably have the bottom match the top rail. I will be leaving the tires for now, but I may end up replacing them with these, eventually:

iff thats a shinko tyre ,don't buy them
they ride like crap
when it rains the whitestripes and crossing marks on the streets became deathtraps
a bit like icespeedway :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
BP - thank you for the link. I've actually read your thread in the past, I was wondering where it went off to. Glad you posted it.

Thanks diablo for the safety advice. you're the second person to tell me that. I also since found out that they only make them in 16 inch, and I have an 18 and a 19 on my bike, so they're out one way or another. I really like the way they look, though. Pity. Function before form, though, eh? I'll probably just wear those dual sport tires out for a while anyway. I will do a good bit of riding on the gravel and such, so it shouldn't take long.

I'm pulling a 12 at work tonight, then I'm going to bust out a few hours filing/sanding/polishing the primary in the morning. If I get more than the 6 inches I got done yesterday, I'll snap a pic.

I'm kinda pissed at myself for getting sucked into this, it's going to triple the time it'll take me to put my motor back together. I think it will be worth it in the end though, and John is helping me out anyway. He grabbed the cam side and started filing after bringing us some coffee yesterday morning. =)

(John's a lurker on the forum, btw, and is one of my best friends, and an excellent partner in crime, among other things.)

Ran around town, grubbed up some 3/4" round stock for bungs, some 1/2 round stock for the fender struts/sissybar combo I'm building, picked up new wheel bearings, but I still can't install axle correctly, have to drill out the backing plate and build a new spacer for inside the hub, since it's too small for the modern axle I'm using.

Trying to decide what to do for rear axle spacers. I have some old gas-pipe that's pretty close to the right diameter, I'm thinking about cutting that to length and using it. I need quite a bit of spacer, because this frame is built to accept up to a 150 tire, and this dual sport tire and old 18" rim are way narrower than the modern stuff.

There are sooo many little odds and ends I really want to tackle, like the oil tank I'm making out of an old fire extinguisher, the rear fender, and the front axle and brake stay are driving me nuts. I'm going to finish the cases and get to a point on the motor where I'm waiting for something before I jump back into the cosmetic stuff, though.

If you actually read all of that, congratulations.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
I'm kinda pissed at myself for getting sucked into this, it's going to triple the time it'll take me to put my motor back together. I think it will be worth it in the end though, and John is helping me out anyway. He grabbed the cam side and started filing after bringing us some coffee yesterday morning. =)

(John's a lurker on the forum, btw, and is one of my best friends, and an excellent partner in crime, among other things.)
Seems like it always feels this way while doing the work that it takes to do...

But.....when it's all said & done and you sit back for a long look-see at how it turned out....

That's when you will see the merit in your work...:)
As others will also notice the time and effort it takes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Infidel - I do. An air, and an electric. And I own or have access to a hispeed 90, die grinder, a dremel, and polishing wheels, everything I need, really, between me and John.

DStews, thanks for the encouragement. I was really kicking myself in the nads this morning for not just powdercoating it. It's looking alright so far, but there are pits and dings in it that I'm not going to be able to sand deep enough to get out. Hell with it, I'll polish it anyway. It's an old motor, it'll have a lil character.

Got a bit done on the primary side:

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What's a foolproof way to drill out my backing plate axle hole without getting egg shaped or off center? I do have a drill-press and an army of clamps. I thought I'd just center the bit in the hole, and then lock the backing plate down on the drill-press, and drill away. Thought I'd toss that idea out before I screwed up the single largest expenditure so far other than the frame...

·
Banned
7,407 Posts
I was really kicking myself in the nads this morning for not just powdercoating it. It's looking alright so far, but there are pits and dings in it that I'm not going to be able to sand deep enough to get out. Hell with it, I'll polish it anyway. It's an old motor, it'll have a lil character.
Those can be filled with weld....
.....Want more work..???...;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Haha. I know they can, but I can't weld aluminum, and don't have the cash to hire a welder, so it'll just have a nice dinged up polished vintage look. (that's what I'm telling myself, anyway)

21 - 40 of 49 Posts