Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
K...I have a 3 "belt drive on my shovel..If you've ever tried this setup w/ the stock or 5 finger clutch you know its difficult if not impossible to keep the clutch basket from "walking out" while the clutch is pulled in..So after living with it for a few seasons i decided to up grade the clutch..2 options I was considering were Rivera...and Barnett Scorpion..both made for Shovel/Pans..I heard from a friend the Pro Clutch worked great..but was a "little noisy". I bought it..it wasnt cheap ..like 550$ . Installed easily and works PERFECTLY..BUT..this clutch rattles like a MF.. You can hear it from miles away..I didn't think it would be an "issue"..my bike is fairly loud w/ the pipes, how loud could it be?..Well put it this way..if you took an empty spray paint can and attached it to the clutch w/ the ball bouncing around inside the can..thats pretty close..And its the kinda noise that hits you the wrong way..riding/ stopped/ engaged/ disengaged...noise!... when you pull into a parking lot or bar w/ other bikes in it everyone will turn and say WTF is that? Is there something wrong there? BUT as I said it works PERFECTLY..Just a heads up to someone considering this "upgrade".It bugs me so much I am considering swapping for the Barnett.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Re: Rivera Pro clutch for Shovel warning..

The one I had on my old bike was fine in every way, shape and form and I will run another one when I get to that point on my '49.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

..its got a certain frequency that drives me insane..thought I might let others in on it..May not be an issue for some..I for one dont like hearing a rattle can shaking in my ear constantly while I am riding..It annoys the fuck out of me.. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this..I'm not looking for a beating here.

·
6,351 Posts

I thought loud clutches saved lives?

I have a dry clutch Ducati, open cover, though the sound is probably different from what you're getting, but it's still loud and distinctive.

I dig the mechanical racket, some people don't. To some it sounds "broken"...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It sounds broken alright....and it makes the bike stand out from the sea of Evo's..but i would rather hear the mill than the clutch rattle. JUST ME...Tom when I get some scratch for the swap I'll give you a great deal on it. Anyone run the Barnett Scorpion????

·
Registered
172 Posts

Maybe I shouldn't have posted this..I'm not looking for a beating here.
No way man.I'm glad you posted this.I'm gonna be buying a new clutch for my shovel and this kind of stuff helps.

·
6,351 Posts

It sounds broken alright....and it makes the bike stand out from the sea of Evo's..but i would rather hear the mill than the clutch rattle. JUST ME...
Guys who know more will chime in here, but if it's THAT loud, something may be f'ed up, you know?
They should be noisy, but what you're describing sounds pretty horrendous.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I am a musician and a bit nutty when it comes to noises...Ive got "ears" so to speak and certain things get to me. It's installed correctly and works fine as I said..but its LOUD..I called the company and their guy said.."yup" when asked if it was supposed to sound like that..If anyones considering this clutch and feels it may be an issue for them as well..GIVE ME A CALL..I let it run over the phone..Clack clack clack...Also note that this is an OPEN PRIMARY. Hey Chicago, you running open belts as well or primary covers?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Does the Scorpion quiet up while you are riding..or make noise all the time? I understand it should make noise while the lever is pulled in and the tension is off the plates but when riding it should shut the fuck up like the stocker..no?

·
Atomic Custom
3,829 Posts

Ok, either you are hyper sensitive or there is something not right with that Pro Clutch.

I run Rivera clutches exclusively. Its the best clutch on the market.. PERIOD.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

I wouldn't say Hyper sensitive..other people hear it too, its not like its just me..I am not the first to complain about the noise..The guy who said it was a "little noisy" was a local shop owner who I bought the clutch from. He told me another customer who he sold the same clutch to had him remove it due to noise. Trent I RESPECT your opinion..you build awsome stuff but I am not saying ITS NOT A GOOD CLUTCH. I am saying FOR ME it's fucking annoying and may be to others as well..just a heads up man.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

In terms of making a big twin a comfortable daily rider, I think a pro clutch is the absolute number one thing to do. No more hand cramps in traffic.

They definitely clatter, but the BDL I used to use was the same or worse.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It was no doubt a gigantic improvement over the stock clutch as far as performance is concerned..feels way better...no creeping

·
Registered
962 Posts

I don't get it? The only time a dry clutch should rattle is when it is dis-engaged (pedal/lever depressed). Are you saying the thing rattle-chingles even when you are in gear?

I mean every open primary I ever had with just about any brand of clutch rattles when the lever is depressed due to the steel plates clanking around in the clutch basket and being loosely dragged by the friction plates, but damn, I never leave the clutch depressed for any period except for departing a stop, or changing gears, and that lasts only a few seconds.

I actually love the sound of a loud clutch rattle, but is sounds like you are saying it does it while in gear.

There must be something wrong with the setup or installation on your bike.

·
Registered
886 Posts

I have two of them. One on the 49 and one on the 57. They do make a racket. The guys at the shop say they know when I am comming from the sound of the clutch. It don't bother me. If you really want to make it loud try drilling holes in the basket. The noise is even louder. Best clutch I have ever run.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

It makes the same sound w/ the clutch in or out and the rep says "yup" when asked if this is normal..I don't see why or how ..but it does..

1 - 20 of 82 Posts