Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO my buddy Craig in Coal City passed away... He was a real old school biker.. a greybeard through and through, banged up and tough.. knew everything there was to know about bikes. Hell of a nice guy too.. he had built some real nice stuff in his time.. A panhead chopper that was gorgeous. His latest creation was a 58 pan..

He was the parts guy at Kalbo's in Joliet for years.. and moved to Dennys shop in Coal City.. he used to live 2 blocks from my house, rented from Smokin Joes mom.. bought a house on the south side of Coal City.. right on the main street. He and his girlfriend lived there, great girl.. they were a nice couple.

Craig had ridden through the years with a handfull of clubs.... he used to tell me stories about what they used to ride and where.. the wild and crazy people he ran with ... they used to ride indians becuase they were cheap and plentifull back in the 60's Smile pretty much anything they could get running they rode the piss out of. Open primaries, big bore, big carb, bell bottoms.. beards .... balls out.

As most of you know i am building a panhead myself.. and i bought most of the parts for my bike (frame, tranny, etc etc) from Craig..

The truth is.. riding bikes is dangerous.. craig rode since the late 50's early 60's... the story goes.. he lost control and hit a bridge.

Rest In Peace buddy.. I will miss you.

COAL CITY — Kenneth C. “Craig” Garretson, 57, of Coal City and formerly of Dwight, died Sunday July 2, 2006, at Rockford Memorial Hospital in Rockford as a result of a motorcycle accident.

Funeral Services will be at 1 p.m. Saturday, July 8, at the Solon, Baker & Telford Funeral Home, Streator. Rev. Mark Upchurch will officiate. Visitation will be held from 9 a.m. until the time of services on Saturday at the funeral home.

Burial will be held at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood at a later date. Cremation rites will be accorded following the funeral services.

Born Dec. 30, 1948, in Streator, Mr. Garretson was the son of Kenneth and Donna (Krantz) Garretson.

He is survived by two sisters, Jill Rae Garretson of Dwight and Jamie (Matthew) Foster of Verona. Also surviving are nieces and nephews Kari Holocker, Jeff Anderson, Sara Butterbrodt, Bethany, Corey and Callie Foster; and two great nephews, Justin Anderson and Jacob Holocker.

He was preceded in death by his parents.

Mr. Garretson attended Ransom Grade School and Dwight High School. He attended a technical college in Tennessee following high school.

He served in the United States Marines, with a tour of duty in Vietnam.

He formerly worked for Conrail railroad. He was currently employed as a parts man at Denny’s Cycle Supply in Diamond. He had formerly worked at various bike shops in the Joliet, Streator and Coal City areas.

Memorials may be directed to the charity of the donor’s choice.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Amen.

sojerscraper said:
RIP craig,
damn shame he had to go but at least he went doing what he loved. id rather die young behind my handlebars than hooked up to a bunch of machines, too old to speak or move on my own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts