Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
that's obvious - but when talking about bikes, most refer to BTs. Technically you are correct, tho.

From context, he asked about phasing out the rigid - so that obviously pointed to BTs.

Creepinogie said:
But HD made swingarmed framed bikes before the duo-glide (1958).
K model, sportster, etc.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Might be. But not might be obvious to someone asking a basic question without details. Obviously HD was not the first to build either style frame. It'll be interesting to see what the next progression in frame technology will be. Softail was really a step backwords.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess i should have specified big twins. I know the K and the sportsters were the first ones but i was trying to figure out if there was an overlap between the time the swingarms came into production and the rigids were phased out. Or if they ceased making the rigids as soon as they began producing the duo-glide.

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyway...
Thanks for the info fellas. I'm also curious to see where it goes next. I hear plungers are making a comeback.
:)

Creepinogie said:
Might be. But not might be obvious to someone asking a basic question without details. Obviously HD was not the first to build either style frame. It'll be interesting to see what the next progression in frame technology will be. Softail was really a step backwords.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I had a 52 Kmodel. Hardtail. No swingarm... did they make both? (edit) cause if they did... I would have preferred the swingarm one... Im a puss I guess.
JiveBomber said:
I think the Sportsters- First called the "K" models got the swinging arm in 1952 when they debued...

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
eric123 said:
Harley put out some K's with a hardtail...Not sure what exact models, but I believe they were the flat track models...KH or KHK maybe?
How bout KR?? Here's one I just found on the web.

Back to the swingarm big twins, I'd forgotten how many of them there were in the early (70/75) bike magazines. Probably 1/2 of the features were swingarm bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts