Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know, i've been collecting parts to put a Pre-Unit Triumph together. Picked up a set of cases at Wauseon a couple years ago (intended for a trike project that seems to have gotten lost in the clutter...). Then i got an OE rigid frame that needs a little love. Those parts have been collecting dust for some time now. Then in an effort to clean up around here one day, i stuck the engine in the frame (to save room, of course...). From that point, i've begun to hang parts on it, and this is where i'm at so far (not very far! lol) Plan is for a simple, classic chop. I'll be taking the neck back to stock rake, stock forks, spool 21" front, 19" rear, wassel fender, wassel tank, bates seatm and small z-bars i think. No plans of getting fancy with it, just make a good solid rider from old/swap parts, and get it out of my life, and hopefully put a buck or two in my pocket.

don't hold your breath, this one is gonna be slow going (bunch of other stuff 'in front' of it right now...)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
nice
for some reason that front wheel looks massive.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hope the paint on the tank is worth saving. Has a real 70's vibe to it.

·
4,033 Posts
I never think those Wassell tanks cover enough of the spine, but I like the rest. That's gonna be one short front end!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
for some reason that front wheel looks massive.
probably 'cause the rest is TINY. These early rigid frames are super small.

Hope the paint on the tank is worth saving. Has a real 70's vibe to it.
yeah its REALLY nice

I never think those Wassell tanks cover enough of the spine
anything bigger and you end up with a seat that is so short you can't sit on it.... frame dims are weird on these.

That's gonna be one short front end!
lol! it will be short, but not that short, whole thing needs to come up a couple inches yet...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Looks great, love the little tank paint !!

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Keep the frame the way it is and build this Joel

·
Registered
800 Posts
Following this one, no matter how long it takes. Love that tank paint, hope you're keeping it?! Do you know what year/model the frame is?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
...old original frames are no weird or too small; check them in a complete stock motorcycle and you ll see that they are not so small.
Both 19 wheels, mud guards etc; put besides an HD and fully clothed they are not so small.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Like what I'm seeing so far, this will keep motivated on my also slooooow pre unit build.You always put together some tights build man

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Rad!
As much as I love stock rake, I agree, build that drag style bike!

I hope I can get my rigid before they become unobtanium for the common man.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Keep the frame the way it is and build this Joel
that pic has been bouncing around in my brain as well. something about that much rake on a trump frame that just looks weird to me for some reason?

Love that tank paint, hope you're keeping it?! Do you know what year/model the frame is?
yes keeping the paint. Frame is 52-54 i believe

you're always cranking out gems. Stoked for this one and I don't even like brit stuff
haha, thanks man.

I hope I can get my rigid before they become unobtanium for the common man
i won't tell you what i paid for this one then...lol

old original frames are no weird or too small; check them in a complete stock motorcycle and you ll see that they are not so small.
Both 19 wheels, mud guards etc; put besides an HD and fully clothed they are not so small.
i disagree, maybe in comparison to an xlch they are similar.

vs. a panhead, there is over 4" difference in wheelbase (which is a bunch for someone that's 6'-2")

that neck is raked, right?
yep, right about 45 deg. Its not the prettiest job either, which is one of the reasons i plan to go back to stock rake.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts