Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, was hoping to get some info about riding in a different state with different rules.
I live in Florida, and plan on workin on Long Island for a bit.
Would like to take my bike with me, but not sure of the possible problems.

I have a '72 Triumph hard tail, no front fender or turn signals. Do have speedo & Horn.

Florida: No insurance required, no helmet, never get hassled for no fender or turn signals, or loud pipes.

No issue using a helmet, but am I required to insure my bike to ride it in New York, even though it's registered in Fla?
What about the chances of gettin hassled for no signals?
I figure front fender is no big issue.
Thanks, Rick.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
your gonna need insurance the rest of the stuff you should be fine with

·
Registered
65 Posts
Insurance requirements apply regardless of where the bike is registered. Definitely get it insured. Shouldn't be too brutal to get liability-only since it's still garaged in Florida.

Equipment reqs apply too in theory, but they'll usually let that slide. It's most likely to just get tacked-on to any other ticket you manage to get. I putted around NYC for a couple of weeks with no signals and barely any mufflers and never caught flack, but YMMV. I have heard that on certain places in LI they're bad about mufflers, which probably means you'd get a ticket for the lot, but I heard the same about Manhattan and never made a cop even blink.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 77 Bonnie came without signals or a tach/speedo set up and I've yet to be pulled over. As long as you are licensed to ride a motorcycle in your state and your paperwork is in order I don't see a problem.
However Suffolk county cops can bust balls in some of the more expensive neighborhoods.
Where on LI are you going to be?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hicksville / Levitown area where my sis lives. Would like to ride up to Oyster bay & cold spring harbor too.
I grew up there, but been in Fla about 26 years.
I didn't know the legality of the situation, especially the insurance, but I know about not riding like a jerk & making myself a target.
I have family in east Hampton too, but I doubt I'll be making the 2+ hour one way ride unless I bring the Road king instead :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
if you in hicksville levittown area hit me up im in seaford which is not far from those at all

·
Registered
139 Posts
I grew up on Long Island.

If you are bringing your bike you have to make the trek out east.

The south fork is nice if you go all the way out to Montauk, but the Hamptons are a joke. My pops lives out there, some of the people you see are living in a fake Hollywood world.

The north fork is beautiful. 1/3 of the traffic of the south fork, and you pass some beautiful farms on the way out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know, Spent last sept & Oct completely renovating a house on the north shore of the south fork (just west of cedar point). Every morning we saw turkey & deer.
Nice country east of Sag Harbor.
My dad rented a place in Mattituk after he retired from the phone co. Nice out there. I always loved the oyster bay / cold spring harbor area. Wish I had Teddy Rosevelts estate.
Love the Island, just way too many people for me. (+ taxes are insane)
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I grew up in Hicksville.
Don't worry, there are still a ton of bikers out there. Half of them are Nassau county PD and you will not be the only person with a chopper or a pre 90's Triumph.
The run up 25-A to Orient Point is still one of my faves. Shady lanes and twisty roads with a ton of places to stop for food gas etc.
Thanks to you I now know what my plans are for the weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.