Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am going to attempt to ride a bobbed harely 45 across america one leg of the run will be the stampede - does anyone know of anyone that has done this sort of thing on a bike like this running 500-600 miles a day-

Thanks A.J. Herold

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
hey man, never did it but that is pretty badass. ive ridden up to canada a couple times on my speed triple doing about that many miles a day & it wasnt too bad. pretty comfortable ride for a naked sport bike.

i plan on taking my lowered 65 chrysler cross country when its done.

not sure if ill be taking the 650 hardtail triumph on any super long rides like that when its done.
good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
AJH said:
I am going to attempt to ride a bobbed harely 45 across america one leg of the run will be the stampede - does anyone know of anyone that has done this sort of thing on a bike like this running 500-600 miles a day-

Thanks A.J. Herold

My friends at www.teamrotten.com are helping an old local get it together for the run-
Yes. Its been filmed too. If you want the info I will dig it up.

-Jason

·
Banned
36 Posts
AJH said:
does anyone know of anyone that has done this sort of thing on a bike like this running 500-600 miles a day-

-
Cannonball Baker did it.

A few years back a bunch of old Indians rode from California to Springfield, Mass for the 100 year homecoming for Indian.
400 miles a day is a nice pace, especially if you get an early start every morning. Start getting your ass and back muscles used to riding long stretches before you head out.
Let us know your route.
Ray in CT

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
AJH said:

Thanks A.J. Herold

My friends at www.teamrotten.com are helping an old local get it together for the run-
At that time of year, with the miles you plan on riding each day, and the route they want to take, an oil cooler might be your best friend.........

·
Registered
360 Posts
Trumpnut said:
I'm planning on going to the smoke out stampede also . I'm running a Yamaha Roadstar ridgid chopper .
Thats if its done of coarse !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What is the smoke out stampede? You mean in NC the horse smoke out?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
murdercycles said:
Cannonball Baker did it.

A few years back a bunch of old Indians rode from California to Springfield, Mass for the 100 year homecoming for Indian.
400 miles a day is a nice pace, especially if you get an early start every morning. Start getting your ass and back muscles used to riding long stretches before you head out.
Let us know your route.
Ray in CT
half pipe skateboard for winter seems to be working - AJH

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Irish Rich said:
At that time of year, with the miles you plan on riding each day, and the route they want to take, an oil cooler might be your best friend.........
10-4, with **** footnotes;

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
AJH said:

Thanks A.J. Herold

I remember an old issue of Cycle World where J.T. Nesbitt (wrote for the real Iron Horse) rode a 45 some distance out to Bonneville, raced it, and rode home. Sorry my memory's not better. You can reach J.T. through his current emlployer: http://www.confederate.com/

·
Registered
568 Posts
A good friend of mine and I rode to the SMSO from Chicago a few years ago...he had a mag-driven 45" and it did okay for the most part...it did bite the bullet outside of Louisville on the way back...he had it waaay advanced and it burned a piston, so it was his fault and not the bike's.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chicagogreaser said:
A good friend of mine and I rode to the SMSO from Chicago a few years ago...he had a mag-driven 45" and it did okay for the most part...it did bite the bullet outside of Louisville on the way back...he had it waaay advanced and it burned a piston, so it was his fault and not the bike's.
Thanks - motor fresh 5k, running morris mag, need to get all the other essetials torqued down, 500 miles in and around nyc to shake out then it is in a box out to the west coast, looking either at LA for SF for a departure point, and ending up in NJ (homestate) somewhere near atlantic for end, a true ocean to ocean ride, will get tires wet on both coasts... I-40 will be the majority of the run, thanks to everyone above for all the data will be helpful for sure-

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Englishman said:
http://www.thehorsemag.com/stampede.htm

We are amassing 'prizes' for it currently, Baker is throwing in a tranny, there's an S&S stroker kit (for engine of choice), I think a Chopperhead Road rigid frame etc.

Still working on logistics.
plane ticket purchased 6/16, first night in LA purchased 6/16, shipping to LA from Central NJ confirmed delivery 6/15, then it's twist the throttle and only 3,000 miles to go - Venice to Asbury Park- with a stampede in between -

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Flatironmike said:
Best wishes on the trip.
the soldier next to my old bike will be with me on this one, think he will ride in the headlight - things are coming together -
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Machine Event Asphalt

1 - 20 of 32 Posts