Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today is Ride To Work Day, so I rode to work, something I am not able to do often enough.

I am fortunate enough to own a wonderful old Harley Knucklehead and enjoy riding it often. I live about 20 miles from the American Iron Magazine offices, so it is an easy ride on the Knuck. Or so I thought.

It started easily on the first hot kick and settled into a nice idle. I worked the clutch back and forth a few times, then slid it into first gear (no notches on the 1936-only hand shift gate) and eased off the clutch. It ran great for the first 10 miles of so. That is until it suddenly died. I pulled off the side of the road to figure out what happened. I flipped the ignition on and checked the battery by honking the horn. OK.

Then I checked the gas in the right side tank. EMPTY! Nice. So I opened the fuel tap on the left side and gave the bike 2 primer kicks. Then it fired up fine. I rode to a nearby gas station and filled up Then rode to work. Sure wish all my issues were this simple to fix.

·
4,033 Posts
Cool! Hutch, who a lot of you know (hutchjr7 on here) let me ride his trike (non-JJ material) for "Ride your Bike To Work Day"... will post a pic if mods clear it.

It was awesome. He's a talented builder and a really nice cat.

For me - much like many of you fellows - most days are RYBTWD. A ride is a great way to bookend a workday, I think!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
1) Nice bike.

2) Always nice when it's something simple.

3) It seems like it was rained all year long (it's raining right now), but I got to get in some good riding this weekend. It was a nice Father's Day treat to myself and the wife didn't mind. We're either out of town or it's frigging raining so getting a free weekend to do what I want is a blessing these days (I have a 3 and a 5 year old as well). I put some new tires on the Shovel, so I had to do a little breaking them in as well.

4) Good deal on the contribution. I dig your posts and as long as it suits the guidelines, I see no reason why they won't fly.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
That's a very nice Knucklehead Buzz :cool:

I'm famous for being so excited and in a hurry to ride, I run out of gas and of course it's always in the middle of nowhere when I run out !

·
Registered
372 Posts
I rode this to work today. Don't get to do it all the time, especially this year with our arctic monsoon spring, but it was nice today.

'73 Shovel, '67 hack

·
Administrator
7,776 Posts
almost rode the '51 pan to work, didn't know it was an official day for it!!!

Buzz, how bad do those petcocks leak? that is my least favorite thing about my '37 UL is the leaky early petcocks...
It's funny because the AMCA calendar lists tomorrow as the National Ride to Work Day!

If anyone has a fix for the leaky early petcocks, please put together a little tech feature in a seperate thread, I'm sure many would find it useful.

Oh yeah, nice Knucklehead!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Good to know about tomorrow. I'm off, but maybe I'll ride to the tag office since its time to renew.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Buzz, that is a real purdy Knucklehead. I doubt I'll ever have enough room/cash/chops to own anything like that, or FearNoEvo's sidehack, but I really enjoy seeing that stuff.

BigDawg- I never get tired of seeing your Shovel. Looks like it would be fun as shit to blast to work on. The BMX bars rule.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
almost rode the '51 pan to work, didn't know it was an official day for it!!!

Buzz, how bad do those petcocks leak? that is my least favorite thing about my '37 UL is the leaky early petcocks...
The petcocks on my EL don't leak but they do on other old bikes I have. Pretty hard to fix this properly.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Buzz, that is a real purdy Knucklehead. I doubt I'll ever have enough room/cash/chops to own anything like that, or FearNoEvo's sidehack, but I really enjoy seeing that stuff.

BigDawg- I never get tired of seeing your Shovel. Looks like it would be fun as shit to blast to work on. The BMX bars rule.
Thanks man. That thing is the motorcycle equivalent of the love of my life. I've had several others come and go, but if that bike isn't running or happy, then I don't sleep well until it does. It's not like it's that special, but it's fast, fun, and it's a birth year bike for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts