1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
they are REAL nice from what ive heard, look cool as shit... and that ones in nice shape.. i say it hits $250-300

·
Registered
896 Posts
It will be spendy, no doubt. Buchanan can make spokes for ya though. They have the specs for that hub (and about anything else you could ever think of). Good luck outbiddin the cafe racers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it stop exceptionally well and is it worth the coin?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sojerscraper said:
i dont know anything about that hub but it looks like a leading/trailing shoe setup like a car drum. if you want better stopping power id look for a dual leading shoe setup. you could get an early 70's triumph or honda drum for a fraction of the cost of what that thing is going for.
Like this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120016878947&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:US:11

Anyone have a dual leading shoe front drum setup for sale? I think that my cerani front end that is on my T100 is from a early 70's bonneville.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
yeah man, thats it.

whats the plan? are you just building a front wheel from scratch? ill tell you from experience, its best to find the most complete setup possible from the beginning. it took me a month alone just to get my rear wheel together because i got it with parts missing. had to order the axle from this guy, the spacers from that guy, etc. it was a fuckin' pain. also, remember that every front axle & brake combo is usually only made to work with a particular fork, which in turn is made to work with a particular frame.

if youre a crafty dude that can machine parts & all that, then id say go for it man, try to run a honda brake in a triumph hub with a harley fork on a BMW frame.

or, just go the easy route & try to score a complete front end with all or most of its parts, or at least a complete brake/hub setup & have custom spokes made for the rim you want to run.

FYI, the conical triumph brake 71-72ish, has cam adjusters for each shoe which makes life easy when setting up the brake. some people dont like the looks of them but thats your call - it doesnt look that much different than that fancy expensive hub you originally posted. lastly, make sure you try to find the cable & lever that is supposed to work with the brake you run - it will save you some headaches down the road.

·
Registered
373 Posts
These RICKMAN hubs might look very pretty but thats it. They are just like the rest of the bike, marginal at best. I bought this one new in '72 and rode it a lot ( still have it) and the brakes are not one of its strong points. The only strong point these have are their looks, nickle frame and nice looking bodywork. Triumph distributed these bikes and in '73 they make Gene Romero ride one in the Short Track Nationals. He quickly went from Hero to Zero and they discontinued them immediately. Having said all that I have had tons of fun on this bike. I raced it District 37 TT at Ascot, Perris and Saddleback. I see pretty fair shape 250s for sale $250-500. I would never use that hub on any bike,its a 1st class POS.

·
Registered
373 Posts
This is what a Rickman should be, not a crappy ,mass produced ring-ding but a hand built ,finely fettled thoroughbred !

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the info...especially the one about the Rickman brakes being a POS. LOL I have use of a lathe and HAAS cnc machie but I have an upright mill and am fairly capable of customizing something to fit. Does anyone know what front drum came on the 71 Bonneville with Cerani forks? I have the cerani's on my T100 flat tracker but need to put brakes on it to make it legal and actually stop.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
legal schmegal... run a spool like all of us, LOL..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
51rat said:
legal schmegal... run a spool like all of us, LOL..
Let me refrase myself....I want to actually stop. I have been put down by cagers a couple of times and just got knee surgery last Friday so I want to keep whats left of my legs. I know I know I won't be cool without a spool, which is currently on the bike, but I am getting older and want to be able to walk in 18 years when I am 50.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
pipeworx said:
Does anyone know what front drum came on the 71 Bonneville with Cerani forks? I have the cerani's on my T100 flat tracker but need to put brakes on it to make it legal and actually stop.
ok, '71 Triumphs did not come with "ceriani" forks. All Triumph & BSA twins & triples from '71 on had the same alloy-slider forks, '71-2 were the conical drum & later were slightly modified for disc.

if yours are the stock units they have a ridge down the outside edge of the slider ('72 was smooth), & have 4 studs for the axle cap. The conical wheel stock for that fork is still easy to find cheaply enough, and as mentioned are dual-leading and have cam-adjusters plus the cable makes the actuation self-centering, you can really dial them in.

I have a stock '72 setup that will slide the front tire at will.

another, and arguably the best stock Triumph brake ever, that can be easily adapted to other forks is the '68- '70 dual leading brake; likewise still plentiful.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts