Jockey Journal Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
You might want to consider a second mounting point by the plate, or at least making a gusset at the 90 degree bend. that is going to shake and vibrate a lot with the motor running especially with the weight of the plate and light at the bottom of the bracket.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
You might want to consider a second mounting point by the plate, or at least making a gusset at the 90 degree bend. that is going to shake and vibrate a lot with the motor running especially with the weight of the plate and light at the bottom of the bracket.
Yep, that long of a bracket, the weight of a light and plate (and the weight of the bracket itself), will likely flex wildly with the vibration known to be present on a Triumph twin. This movement will fatigue the steel, and crack. You may want to consider reducing the distance between the mount point and furthest point of your bracket, and possibly adding some gussets to reduce movement too. I am not being critical, but if it looks totally over-built, and over-gusseted, it MAY survive the vibration that IS Triumph :D
Cheers, Dan

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The paint is all rattle can duplicolor, I have no artistic talent just some patience.

Backstory on the paint job if it helps, my old man did two tours in Vietnam and for his troubles he won part of his buddies canteen that was on his hip stuck in head for the rest of his life until he died of brain cancer. This isn't a nod to the movie or the characters it's a "fuck you" to it. I have a few tours racked up overseas disarming IEDs I think I can rock the CPT America without feeling like a cheese dick. I am not trying to argue everyones tast is diffrent, but it's not a monster truck T-shirt or a tapout sticker on the back of my truck.
Cant see anyone arguing with that. :)

For my mind its a lot of different styles all in one bike. Maybe one headlight? But it is YOUR bike mate and you've done it Kudos!

How are you going to adjust the bias between front and rear brakes or am I missing something?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
...hello man,
for your first bike you have some good ideas, like the tail light mounting bracket, but as other say, the vibration will be a problem, I lost (then another biker let me know and I found...) my license plate in a freeway due to the vibations, and mine was somewhat stronger than your design.

-I have a question about that fork, that I think you not wrote about it; did you low that front end?
if so, Im very interested in how you did it.
Or those forks are lower than rest?

thanks

--by the way, the problem that I see with that street fighter front end is that is "too much" front end, aesthetically talking, regarding all the other parts
I mean, if you look from the front, looks powerful and speedy, but the engine is not so speedy, so you ll go with all that front end at 110Km/h...instead of a 180km/h...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
I agree the front end is absolutely overkill, I think it's kind of cool to take one of the most technologicly sophisticated front-ends and mate with about the most primitive rearend.

I didn't lower the front end it's stock height you end up with about 2.5 inches of to play with as far as loweing it up or down on the tubes in the triple trees.

The brakes and I'm not sure how good of an Idea it is, but the rearend is straight mechanical drum. The front has two independant master cyclinders one for each side. So it's right hand and right food front brake with a left foot rear brake. I tried to get rid of a lot of the mechanical advantage in the lever for the front foot brake. I am somewhat concerend with how that big ass front wheel is going to deal with that much brake force.

I love springer and girder front ends and so many dudes on here nail these perfectly clean triumphs. Honestly I don't have the skill yet to work at that level, it's hard to find a killer spring only front end, and when you do price is an issue. I picked up the ZX6R front end for 200 bucks off ebay.

I'm hoping that the reinforcement works on the plate and light bracket. I think i am gonna figure out how to make a stronger clamp on bracket to the frame.

ETA; you guys need to help me start a new buzzword we will call it the "CHOPPER FIGHTER".

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
After having my optic nerve repaired and the backside of my ear opened so they could repair the bones that got smashed and then decided to fuse themselves together. I decided I don't like loud noises.

If it still looks like dogshit after I paint it, I'll come up with something else.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
One of these day I might be able to score two aris headlights but for now this is what I got.
I always thought the double stacked foglights were kind of nifty but I am trying to keep this somewhat compact.

BTW I rode that skateboard through a minefield and I even ollied over one.

·
Registered
815 Posts
BTW I rode that skateboard through a minefield and I even ollied over one.
Did you really do that, or are you pulling our legs?

Think the muffler looks fine, long as it works.

What's with the garment on the bike?

The dual headlights of different types is a bit odd, but so is having two healights on a trump. And using a sportbike front end. So hell, go with it. =D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
"Battle for Objective saints" Leading down MSR (Main Supply Route) jackson into baghdad right before US forces pushed in on the "thunder run" The MSR a no shit freeway was mined with 455 VS 1.6 landmines. We were tasked to clear it while 3/15 Infantry pulled overwatch, I was actualy using the skateboard to push cases of C-4 to destroy the mines on my way back though it occured to me I would never get a chance to do this again so I went for it.

Think the mufflers would look better if I got rid of the seams on the end and just blended it smooth?

It's just a sheet to keep dust off.

·
Registered
815 Posts
That is righteous. Not everyone has ollied over landmines.

And yeah, grinding down the seams and fill-welding and then re-grinding and polishing might look nice. If you're good enough to do that. I tried to weld an old fender together tonight that someone (not me, I was just trying to fix it) had cut up... I blew holes all in it. Oh well. Side-note: anyone want an old fender that's been cut up and some nimrod tried to weld? Pay shipping and it's free. Haha.

·
Banned
980 Posts
Paint a camo design over the forks so nobody knows and mount a 30's car headlight.
Id rather look at somethin built from brain to hand thats different than the thousands of hacked up trumps that look the same as each other bar the cool bling from the cool shops.
On ya!
Browny

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.