Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
I like it too. It's not my usual taste, but you did it yourself, it has a meaning, and it's pretty mean-looking. Cheers, and thank you for disarming IED's. Someone has to do it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
can't see the pics as my work blocks them, but thank you and your dad for your service. i think you've reserved the right to do just about anything you want to that bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok...more deets on the front end. I'm doing a modern sport bike front end on one of my bikes too, but I was planning on going with an XS650 wheel and making things work.

Are you saying that a stock Sportster wheel, with a 3/4" axle fits in a ZX-6R fork?? You said they're Tokico rotors...from the Ninja, I assume? If so, they had the same bolt pattern as the Sportster wheel?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ok...more deets on the front end. I'm doing a modern sport bike front end on one of my bikes too, but I was planning on going with an XS650 wheel and making things work.

Are you saying that a stock Sportster wheel, with a 3/4" axle fits in a ZX-6R fork?? You said they're Tokico rotors...from the Ninja, I assume? If so, they had the same bolt pattern as the Sportster wheel?
No,..... someone on here probably knows the exact year but but the 2009 and newer sportsters use a 25mm or 1 inch bearing (if it's a 1 inch you can track down 25mm bearing and swap them easily) the axle on the ZX-6R is 25mm.

If you have an XS650 frame you might have better luck on getting the neck to fit I had to open mine up .060 to fit ZX-6R taper roller bearings. This was after a few weeks picking peoples brains and pouring through Mcmaster car and timken catalogs.

I believe the rotors the rotors are ZX-6R also they are 300mm with the 5 hole pattern and 12mm offset.The holes are a little larger in diameter like 11mm but the bolt pattern matches up I just used brass spacers to cover the distance. The calipers are tokico the rotors run perfect with the offset in them. The wheel is actualy a DNA because they were the only ones that I could find that had the rotor bolt holes on both sides.

I would recomend using a large wheel atleast a 19 because the rotors are so big they begin to make the wheel look crowded.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Nice!

Not to hijack, but You could also press the stem out of the forks and machine it down to the proper size for your neck bearings. I had spacers made for the bultaco axle that fit into the lower legs and the axle slides through those spacers. Many ways to skin a cat.

Oh, and I love it when people tell me I should put an old front end or springer on my bike... WTF? It's not like putting an inverted front end on a triumph was an after thought or spur of the moment thing. It takes planning, work, and money to do it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice!

Not to hijack, but You could also press the stem out of the forks and machine it down to the proper size for your neck bearings. I had spacers made for the bultaco axle that fit into the lower legs and the axle slides through those spacers. Many ways to skin a cat.

Oh, and I love it when people tell me I should put an old front end or springer on my bike... WTF? It's not like putting an inverted front end on a triumph was an after thought or spur of the moment thing. It takes planning, work, and money to do it.
I am glad you showed up your bike was the first time that I realized it could be done. So I apologize for stealing the shit out of it.:D

Although I appreciate the simplicity of a clean front spool on a springer front end, I am a big chicken and I don't think I have the skill to survive on a rear mechanical hub. So I opted to over brake the hell out of it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

I looked forever for a tail light that would work without being over the top. I bought a 51 chevy pickup about a month a go and the tail light seemed cool but understated and they came with a license plate light underneath so I got a repro LED unit from summit.

Lithium Ion battery from ballistic batteries it's says it will run a 12v kick only sportser or a small elecctric start scooter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yeah WTF is right...I did say it was my opinion.I didnt say anything about the work involved in putting it on.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I am glad you showed up your bike was the first time that I realized it could be done. So I apologize for stealing the shit out of it.:D

Although I appreciate the simplicity of a clean front spool on a springer front end, I am a big chicken and I don't think I have the skill to survive on a rear mechanical hub. So I opted to over brake the hell out of it.
Cool! Glad my bike has had an influence on someone else's build! By all means steal away, im sure I wasn't the first to do it and you won't be the last. ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
brake light and license plate mount

Don't worry I know I suck at welding

Loose not crooked.
Old battery box hold down used Chevy ladder bar washer piece of bench stock from locally owned hardware store 51 Chevy taillight from summit 30 dollars for a custom tail light and plate bracket

21 - 40 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.