Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought it off of Ebay. It was a crooked pile of junk. Lots of good parts. Made it into a 1" stem first. Then cut off the legs and made my own. Model A radius rods for the primary legs and .875" X .130 DOM for the fronts. Lots of work, but well worth it. What do you all think?

Anybody have some flanders type risers?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am interested in the details of how you attached the rear legs? Looks fantastic ! :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am interested in the details of how you attached the rear legs? Looks fantastic ! :cool:
I welded together two six inch pieces of solid steel round bar, inserted them up into the trees and plug welded them. They extend into the legs about 3.5", where they are plug welded again. You can see the slugs in the pre welding picture.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Great job. I hope you save your pennies and nickel plate it. It's too nice a front end with too much effort just to paint IMO.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Wish I had those skills. When can I send you the old beat up one sitting in my garage?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Dumb question? How did you get the solid round bar/slugs centered in the oval tubing of the springer remains and radius rods?

I welded together two six inch pieces of solid steel round bar, inserted them up into the trees and plug welded them. They extend into the legs about 3.5", where they are plug welded again. You can see the slugs in the pre welding picture.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Dumb question? How did you get the solid round bar/slugs centered in the oval tubing of the springer remains and radius rods?
Scott, i think the slugs are made to locate themselves in the oval being 2 pieces of round welded next to each other.

Nice job. That thing was a hot mess. Good to see good tech and to see it being done well.

·
6,351 Posts
Niced out nice.

Did you use brazing as part of the process, or was that added after construction for filler or to get "the look"?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Cool, I see them now. I was thinking you probably did that but I had missed the slugs in the pic. Thanks for the write up and pics. :cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's awesome, how did you compress the bottom springs to get the top ones and the rod through?
I've done it several ways. I've taken a ratchet strap, and used it to pull up on the axle to relieve the springs. I've also used a c-clamp to compress them. They are under a fair amount of pressure, so you have to be careful. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Scott, i think the slugs are made to locate themselves in the oval being 2 pieces of round welded next to each other.

Nice job. That thing was a hot mess. Good to see good tech and to see it being done well.
You are correct. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts