Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I was just saw an ad for a replica looking springer made by mid usa it has the tapered leg and looks very reminiscent of an hd springer wondering if anyone's running one and whose making them for em

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Looks like DNA or the Taiwan made springers from PaughCo

·
4,031 Posts
Whoa whoa whoa.

To my knowledge, Paughco does not offer a springer that is made offshore; correct me if I am wrong.

The "good" springers seem to be Paughco and V-twin. Everything else is offshore built. I have no idea what is good and what's not, as I have never run one, but everyone I know who has had a DNA/Whatever has hated it, and if you read online at all about them, that seems to be the going norm. How much is true and how much is bullshit is up to you to decide, but I have buddies with some shit that has damn near fallen apart on them. I love my brains too much to use one of them cheap ones.

Easiest way to tell American from offshore I have found is to look at the spring rod nuts... the DNA's have a lonver spring rod acorn and spacer.

I ripped this picture off; it's not mine. Thanks to whoever the hell took it. DNA in background, American in the foreground.

Sorry to veer off-track a bit, but I thought it was worth mentioning. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

·
Registered
64 Posts
But even Mid USA's Old DNA Style Springers are OK,, They have a 1" Front Hoop over the Weak DNA 3/4 Hoop, They also have a Thicker Lower Rocker and better Bushing, Just because DNA are Junk doesn't mean all of them are

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Liam Paughco now has a second less expensive line for many of their parts like springers and trike kit parts.
The springer in the last pic looks a lot like the new generation Taiwan made V-Twin springers. Probably the same manufacturer over there.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
I read somewhere that the 3/4 round springer legs were prone to folding up. I read this and the info was from a discussion from a springer manufacturer of old. Something about they tried the 3/4 legs and had bad luck.

I've had a few tonight, so don't mind me if it's confusing....just sayin

·
4,031 Posts
Liam Paughco now has a second less expensive line for many of their parts like springers and trike kit parts.
The springer in the last pic looks a lot like the new generation Taiwan made V-Twin springers. Probably the same manufacturer over there.
Interesting; I checked their catalog last night before I posted and did not see a single "inexpensive" one in there.

I will research this some, now I am curious.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Just a couple of things that might help here.

I'm working on extending a couple of stock springers and the front legs are 3/4 X .080 wall (approximately). I also have one of the kits that Buchanan's used to extend their springers and it's about the same dimensions. They are both seamed tubing. One of the frontends I'm working with was 18" over stock and the front legs were bowed when I got it using this tubing. You can get 3/4 DOM steel tubing in .083/.095/.110 wall thickness. I am trying to make a die to form the lower legs with my press using the .110 wall tubing. I'll let ya'll know how it works out when I get it done.

Also, I was placing an order with Mid-USA this morning so I asked about their new springers. My rep told me they were patterned more after the late model springers than the early, but you can get them in the early springer length to 6" longer. List price was around 1100.00 - 1400.00 depending on what you wanted. You can get them black or chrome. They're set up for 3/4" axle, disc brakes, and use tapered bearings.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Are the VTwin springers no longer the Polish made, assembled in Holland ones they had before? I also heard there were springers being made in India. Has anyone heard about these, and who is selling them, mostly so I can avoid them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
just saw a FB add for some made out of IL the other day. but im using mixed media so i cant link to it right now....

EDIT
Scott's PsychoCycles Roxana IL 62084
618-979-4110

·
Registered
506 Posts
Are the VTwin springers no longer the Polish made, assembled in Holland ones they had before? I also heard there were springers being made in India. Has anyone heard about these, and who is selling them, mostly so I can avoid them.
I was under impression the Polish-made ones were OK, and may even be sold as TUV-approved in Europe?

I have seen the ePay ads for the Indian-made 45 springers in the past and don't know if I'd run one. The ads have the usual claims of being "made to highest specifications & quality standards using high quality material for easy and trouble free fitment . . . (and) . . . is made of premium metal, and is already applied with the primer to make it rust free." Unfortunately, with the primer you can't see how they're constructed, e.g. forgings or fabrications, welded or brazed.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The polish made springers are very nice and are still being sold (withTUV) by W&W in Germany. Unfortunately the price for them in the USA nearly doubled because of the unfortunate Euro exchange rate.
V-Twin has them made in Taiwan now and they are quite nice but they only offer the stock length in either all black or all chrome.
I always liked that you could get the polish springers in up to 24" overstock.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
...has anyone seen, experienced or heard of "failures" or major issues with these re-pops? For the price, it seems that a good used "newer" one could be had.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
When by newer one you mean the softail springers they are very different and require a ton of work to make them look more like the 40s originals. Harley went for a long travel on the new ones and the springs and spring rods need to be shortened and the front legs extended and then the rockers still don't look like an original.....

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Vtwin is no longer carrying the ones that are made in Europe.
Vtwin is now making their own in Taiwan. As to the quality of them I cant speak from first hand experience but I avoid all parts manufactured from that country or from Tedds whenever possible.

If you are looking for the replica springers that have been made for years in Europe we are carrying them.
We have been a dealer for them since Tedd violated their contract with them and stopped carrying their product line.

If you are looking to order some we do not stock them because they are rather pricey and there are a lot of different options so being a small company it is tough for us to keep inventory on them.
But we order them a lot as a special order item for customers.
We have sold probably close to 60 of them in the last year and everyone who has used them (including ourselves) have been extremely happy with them. I will say they are worth the few extra dollars that they cost.
If you are interested in getting some you can always drop us an email to [email protected]
(Im just putting that out there because you asked who else was carrying them, and as far as I know we are the only US seller of the European ones now.)

As for the Mid USA ones someone please correct me if Im wrong but doesnt Mid USA buy stuff from Tedds ? I thought they did or at least at one point years ago they did ?
If they do I would take a guess and say they are now stocking the ones that Tedds makes in Taiwan.

We are very close to releasing replica rear replacement legs that are of the exact shape size and spec as the OEM legs and I can say from just having the dies for that made it is an extremely expensive operation to do. I cant even imagine the cost to "tool up" and start to build a full springer. I dont see Mid USA spending the money on that portion of the market.
Just my thoughts on it since it came up.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
...has anyone seen, experienced or heard of "failures" or major issues with these re-pops? For the price, it seems that a good used "newer" one could be had.
yes you could buy a later model used springer around the price that the "early" replica ones sell for
but and this is a big but -
the later model springers dont like right at all on earlier bikes, the shape to a lot of things is different including their top clamps spacing pattern.
They look like a newer bike part that belongs on a newer model bike.

Kind of like putting disc brakes on a knucklehead, it just dont look right.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
a buddy took a flyer and got a set of Girders from the Indian maker of springers gas tanks etc just to see what the quality was like and basicly they are made from shit metal and very very rough with weld and braizing everywhere that ya dont want it.... I for one have no problem with the Polish made and TUV approved items though,very well made from quality materials....... For those of you in the USA who dont know what TUV is, it's a VERY stringently adheared to test that Germany runs on anything to do with car or bike for safety,you end up paying more for parts as the tests are very expensive to have done but without the certification you run the risk of big fines (in Germany)......

1 - 20 of 36 Posts