Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've found a set of replacement shovelhead alternator/cone cases from the HD factory still in the box... But, noticed something that had me ???- The replacement cases have the numbers are stamped on the left side...
My original '81 shovel motor has the numbers stamped on the right side (cone side).
Any ideas as to why the factory numbers would have been stamped on the left like the older pan-shove models?

If it helps the engine numbers start with a AKKB (K = 80') (B = '81) not sure about the AK

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
H-D went back to the left side I think in late 82 on, so that would be why, they are later replacement case for a 80.81 but with the numbers on the 82-85 left side...... You should see four stars on the right side......Roach.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didnt see any stars stamped on the right side... But, it does have matching belly numbers. Im sure they are fine after your note above. Thank you for the help Roach.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have set of 81 cases with numbers on left. It has always occurred to me to combine pieces to have an unstamped case. I supose the man wouldn't love me any more.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I got a set of replacement shovel cases from HD about seven or eight years ago. The case I sent in had the number on the right.

The ones I received have the numbers on the left, done in the new dot-matrix style like an evo.

No problems. My guess is that they don't number them until they go out the door and use whatever means they're using currently.

The 2A1****H1 number in dot matrix throws people who are paying attention.

Jason

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Goat, Jason and Karl- Thanks for your input guys. Its nice to know there are a few of these running out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts