Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it feasible to repair pan cases that crack around the cam bushing hole? I came across a right side 51 case with 3 cracks, one going out around 3:00 then upwards, one at 5:00 down to the bearing race, and one at about 10:00 that goes out and upwards an inch or so (it doesnt show well in the picture). The cracks show on both sides of the case, I couldnt get the flywheel side image to show the cracks.

The intended use is for a franken motor, the right generator case on my 84 shovel 80". I dont hot rod, but its going to be a sidecar rig and expect to dirt road it and as much pavement riding as I can with a bum back. I understand the 58 and later right case has larger bearings, but I havent come across a 58-69 right case. am I asking for trouble using the older type case for such use, or asking for trouble to use a repaired case for such use?

Who can do the machine work to get the cam bushing back to spec after welding? I have a good welder, but nobody to do the machine work after welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Mike at 47 industries manville nj can do both but you can’t be in a hurry

He has a web site and you can send picture both sides to see if he can give you an idea

Some of those its a casting era in large air pockets below the surface - you can’t just use anyone for that type repair

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks.

How do you mean "can't be in a hurry"? Months,..... years?

I have a very good local welder, I saw a set of sporty cases that had a large corner of the transmission blown out, he repaired them and made them usable again. I was a bit surprised at how large the hole was and he repaired it, but it wasnt on a cam bearing hole. He said he hasnt machined them before for the cam bushing/bearing.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sporty cases are a snap compared to old oil soaked knuckle or pan cases that are not only porous and air pocketed ——this was one brought to us after he was told not to use a local welder

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Another

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looks like whoever did those knew how to make the welder work, but they were not a welder.

·
4,032 Posts
Thanks.

How do you mean "can't be in a hurry"? Months,..... years?

I have a very good local welder, I saw a set of sporty cases that had a large corner of the transmission blown out, he repaired them and made them usable again. I was a bit surprised at how large the hole was and he repaired it, but it wasnt on a cam bearing hole. He said he hasnt machined them before for the cam bushing/bearing.
That thing is a shitshow. Mike does great work. He is as close to a wizard as you can ask for. Call him and he'll give you a timeline. He's a good friend. If he says he can do it, his word is bond.

-L.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I may just let this one pass and wait for something in better shape. It will be enough of a project to build the motor after getting a good case half. If it were cheaper I might buy it to put on the wall or build a display motor, but my money and time is probably better spent on a better case.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Is it feasible to repair pan cases that crack around the cam bushing hole? I came across a right side 51 case with 3 cracks, one going out around 3:00 then upwards, one at 5:00 down to the bearing race, and one at about 10:00 that goes out and upwards an inch or so (it doesnt show well in the picture). The cracks show on both sides of the case, I couldnt get the flywheel side image to show the cracks.

The intended use is for a franken motor, the right generator case on my 84 shovel 80". I dont hot rod, but its going to be a sidecar rig and expect to dirt road it and as much pavement riding as I can with a bum back. I understand the 58 and later right case has larger bearings, but I havent come across a 58-69 right case. am I asking for trouble using the older type case for such use, or asking for trouble to use a repaired case for such use?

Who can do the machine work to get the cam bushing back to spec after welding? I have a good welder, but nobody to do the machine work after welding.
Sadly cracks in that area are pretty common.
Is the iron bearing insert cracked as well?
If the iron insert is cracked they can still be repaired but expect a lot more work.

Just an fyi thing, the pinion cast in iron insert changed size a few times.

40-57 cast in inserts have an I D of 2.0015"
The 58 and later cases up through 99 are 2.1275"
the I D changed a few times also on those 40-57 engines.
40-53 and then 55-57 with the same O D of 2.0015"
58-99 bearing races use the same I D and O D but are also made in three versions that sorta interchange.

So to repair a cracked 51 right side case and then adapt it into an 84 everything else will be a bit more of a challenge than you may be expecting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am curious as to the cause of the crack.
Thinking that the cam cover was removed with the push rods, heads etc. so that the unsupported cam broke it...
If that's the situation, consider running it as is.

MAYBE drill the ends of cracks so the don't travel further.
If you do that, Irontite makes aluminum plugs for crack repair.

Karl

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I am curious as to the cause of the crack.
Thinking that the cam cover was removed with the push rods, heads etc. so that the unsupported cam broke it...
If that's the situation, consider running it as is.

MAYBE drill the ends of cracks so the don't travel further.
If you do that, Irontite makes aluminum plugs for crack repair.

Karl[/QUOTE

The crack and or cracks - is usually caused by hydronic or fatigue

The sand that was casted when the block was formed was not evenly distributed and the area you see affected was common to have craters and air pockets - some from the jug spicket to the generator strap bolt hole < it would leak oil making one crazy trying to find that one - and most often all around the cam bushing running north into the deck of the block

The hydronic idea was the oil that is absorbed into the cavity boils being mixed with gasoline and combustion products causing pressure < this we think would happen when the engine block would grow from being hot and some times very hot - this could have caused the small open areas to seal this in turn caused the pop out of the porous alloy < this is a guess and time and miles are against and irregular casting anyway

Do not believe and never seen one brake from taking it apart incorrectly but anything is possible when you have a weak link

1 - 12 of 12 Posts