Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a cheap Wassel tank and I'm using it as motivation to redo my bike. The tank will be black with silver scallops, red striping. I need to make a decision on the design and was wondering if the board has any examples to offer. Also, the pinstriping? Should it go on before the clear coat or after? All help is appreciated.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
carefull clearing over stripe! Depending on what they use one shot etc... to stripe and what you use to clear, it can have adverse effects!

It always looks cooler to clear over the stripe, unless it's real old school... But just make sure your painter and (if different) striper, collaborate to make sure they don't react....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moonshiners, appreciate the reply. I'm the painter and pinstriper. The paint is laquer and I’m using one shot for the striping.... Laquer over enamel, answered my own question... How bout some scallop patterns, any thoughts?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: How to and inspiration.....

Jakemon said:
I would lean towards the easter egg look.
Jakemon, that's outstanding....you should consider keeping it. It would be a genuine use of the term "tribute bike".

·
Registered
411 Posts
One really cant clear over one-shot.

HOK makes a special pinstriping paint that is meant to be cleared over....I would suggest using that, although most stripers hate using it....its not very friendly stuff to use.

Here's an example on the tank of the bike I just sold.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I agree with the fact that the HOK striping paint is PURE SHIT...

You can however clear coat over one shot with sucess if you have patiences.Mid coat clear all your work I have access to a booth that bakes since I run a collision center so stripe and bake and let sit for a day or two then clear.I always start light and build with my final coats.If ya dont have a booth mid coat clear wait a day stripe and let it sun dry for a couple days then clear again.I use sikkens and lesonal brand clears and have had great sucess.ITs CALLED PATIENCES thats all that is required and make sure its a day that the painting Gods are on your side and if they aint run dont walk away from said project:D

Shoe
RoadDevil13 said:
One really cant clear over one-shot.

HOK makes a special pinstriping paint that is meant to be cleared over....I would suggest using that, although most stripers hate using it....its not very friendly stuff to use.

Here's an example on the tank of the bike I just sold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts