Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...hello,
I m near to start the change of the chain and sprockets, so my question is regarding the 5/8 x 3/8 chain.
Here in this country the Renold dealer sell the chains for length not for links and the price seems TOO cheap.
I asked if those are motorcycle chains or do not...
Then I checked the RENOLD wpage, but nothing about motorcycle chains.
The guys sell chains, etc for agriculture, industries, etc
I guess that these chains are not good for motorcycles (due to the fatigue)
but the number is the same (110056 Renold number or 10B)

However, a motocross chain or Jap chain cost here 6 - 8 times more!

How do we know if the Renold chains are motorcycle chains? they look identical (the Renold that say motorcycle in the box and these ones by length that do not have a box)

thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
...yes, farm use is different but the chains look equal...because of that my question.
This is for a pre unit 500.

-edit: ok Swan Ill check those links
LOL, a pre-unit 500 IS farm machinery.
Would probably be ok for a while but you would need to check wear on it often and replace before it was ready to break.
When we were poor back in the good old days we used to run industrial chain on our old bangers ok.
But NEVER use the cheap chain where the rollers are made from flat plate rolled around into a cylinder. They come apart too easily.
Myself, I prefer to pay the extra for RK or DID etc and have the peace of mine. You can get them cheap ($50) on Ebay USA but shipping international can cost an extra $25.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...hello Hopper, with my farm machine I daily ride at 100km/h for long distances
and here complains to ride Bonnies at 110-120km/h! (?)

-never break a chain what I noticed is the fact that a farm chain in a bike last only 2000kms before the length change and then the thing is impossible to adjust due to in one part the chain is too tight and in the other too loose.

I just have the Renold my is in which way differ a Renold machinery chain than a Renold bike chain because look the same with the same numbers...

·
Registered
398 Posts
my engine case was repaired where the chain broke and cracked the rear of the cases (both sides) above the drive sprocket.....it looks like shit btw but it usable and i'm in the process of cleaning it up.

point is, dont let that happen to your newly rebuilt and pristine power-plant. get a good chain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.