Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought a springer front end that was painted black. while moving it around i scratched it and found good chrome underneath, so my question is how do i remove the paint without damaging the chrome cause i don't want to pay to re-chrome it

·
Registered
231 Posts
ya I would try some laquer thinner on it see if it comes off. I dont know how stripper reacts on chrome, maybe you could try it on something else and see what it does. If its ok and the thinner doesnt take it off go to town

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use paint stripper on chrome often, unless its etch primed it comes off easy, and I've never had it damage chrome.

like Pete said test it somewhere inconspicuous

·
Registered
234 Posts
Chrome is very strong / robust. At an angle, you can run a razor blade or a paint scraper or similar across it and as long as the pressure is not great the chrome will not scratch. Gently. I guess it IS metal. I'm not sure if there is shitty chrome that scratches easily.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I use paint stripper on chrome often, unless its etch primed it comes off easy, and I've never had it damage chrome.

like Pete said test it somewhere inconspicuous
+1 on this option. I have cleaned cellulose paint off with paint stripper, that stuff you get from a hardware store for stripping household paints. It works real well and I just used some fine wire wool to help it along.

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Chrome if done right is real durable. Just put some aircraft stripper on and it should get all of it off it it is spray painted and wont discolor the chrome at all. I have dipped parts in acid (which is way way stronger than aircraft stripper) I use to strip powder coat and it wont even discolor chrome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts