Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a tech question....
I didn't see a thread on it but...
What is the proper way to remove a harley forged neck on say a VL frame? If want to maintain the tubes and forgings? Probably sounds like a dumb question.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I had a cut off neck from a mid 70's Sportster years ago and I had to remove the 2 lower tubes and the backbone to use it on a project. The amount of heat and force it took to get those tubes out was amazing. We had to heat the head up cherry red and use a pipe wrench with a cheater bar just to get the tubes to spin in their bores while we melted the Bronze(?) out of the casting.

Like El Diablo said and judging by experience, you're gonna ruin either the casting or the tubes getting it off.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What is the proper way to remove a harley forged neck on say a VL frame? If want to maintain the tubes and forgings? Probably sounds like a dumb question.
There really is no "proper" way. The frame was assembled in a jig and all the the forged or cast steel fittings and tubes were then brazed as a unit. If your trying to save the neck casting / forging, saw the tubes and "unbraze" the remaining stubs from the sockets.

Bob

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Proper,,and if you have the tools cut the stem and drill it out,,that would be the least damaging to the forks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes the forged neck. I was hoping there was a way to remove it while saving all the components. Sounds like chopping and running an endmill or drill to clear it out. I was hoping that the brazing could be removed and it would all come apart nicely without damaging anything. Thanks all

·
Registered
225 Posts
I´ve done of couple of separations,- impossible to save the tubes. A lot of them are pinned through the castings, as well. Cut and mill!
If modding´s your game, cut the tubes some distance from the casting, do what you have to do and weld the whole thing back together with inner slugs.
Mads

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this cant be done without messing one off both up
tubes are easiest to safe ,forging is harder to do ....will damage very quickly

then again tubes are easier to replace and cheaper !!

but why ????
It is heading over the pond to the UK. The buyer who is a friend of mine wants to save a little dough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would tack weld some flat stock to the tubes about 6 inches behind the neck to hold the shape of the frame, than cut the tubes an inch from the neck. Heat up the neck with a rosebud torch remove the tubes. Turn up some slugs on your lathe to fit the ID of the frame tubes press fit them into the tube and rosette weld them. Fit new peices of tubing to desired length and weld around the outside.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I´ve done of couple of separations,- impossible to save the tubes. A lot of them are pinned through the castings, as well. Cut and mill!
If modding´s your game, cut the tubes some distance from the casting, do what you have to do and weld the whole thing back together with inner slugs.
Mads
You're gonna get metal shavings in your beer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It is heading over the pond to the UK. The buyer who is a friend of mine wants to save a little dough.
Your friend wants you to attempt to knock an OEM frame down to save a few bucks shipping??? Why doesn't he just buy repro castings there and build a frame?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your friend wants you to attempt to knock an OEM frame down to save a few bucks shipping??? Why doesn't he just buy repro castings there and build a frame?
It has had tabs removed and some work on it already. He got it for 800 I think a re-pop is probably more, maybe not though. Last I saw a forged neck was running 4-5 hundered, axle plates about 150, I don't even want to know what the trans and motor forging costs.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It cant be that much to freight. Get him to contact someone shipping in cars and get them to throw it in the container or boot of a car, he'll know what that is :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.