Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dropped off the rear spool hub off my 67 TR6 to be powder coated and the guy called me he cannot get the bearings out. Can anyone tell me how they come out or maybe they are just stuck i'm not sure I didnt have a bearing puller and he said he could get them out.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
There's a spacer tube between the bearings. There's usually enough room to knock it to the side enough to get a drift on the inner race of a bearing and drive it out from the opposite side. Driving a bearing in/out via the inner race ain't a good idea, but you don't have much choice in this case. Install new ones.

Bob

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hoping the attachments show up. Basically the spacer tube between the ball races is supported on a flimsy grease retaining ring. You should be able to collapse this ring by knocking the spacer tube to one side with a hammer 'n' drift, then you can use a long drift to drive the ball race out in the usual manner. You can straighten the flimsy ring if needed, but you'll almost certainly be fitting sealed races anyway in which case it's not needed.

Don't forget to remove your cufflinks before using the procedure as shown by the gent in the illustration! You should be alright to keep your tie on, though.

MotorEddy

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HUB is off the rum and the drum off the hub, there appears to be caps over the ends that I cannot get off. I have a bearing puller and it's not doing anything. There was one little allen head bolt on the one side but these caps do not seem to want to budge and i do not want to destroy this hub.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are two caps? One has a tiny socket-head screw? Loosen the socket head screw - it acts as a pinch bolt to clamp that cap in place. Notice the two small holes on the cap...they're for the pin wrench you need to undo the cap. If you don't have a pin wrench you can make one from flat bar stock with holes drilled the correct spacing and some small machine screws & nuts. The cap is threaded with a fine pitch thread and one side of the hub the cap is a LH thread. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the '68 parts manual and a unit 650 repair manual in PDF. They should show you how it all comes apart. I agree - don't knacker the hub just 'coz you're unsure how it comes apart.

MotorEddy

·
Registered
82 Posts
The "caps" you mention are threaded retainers. The one with the allen head bolt is normal right hand thread and you can use drift to loosen it after loosening the allen head bolt. The other retainer is left hand thread and should have two slots to hold the speedo drive in position. This one I put a piece of bar stock in a vice and used it in the slots and turned the entire wheel and hub assembly to loosen it. Once you get these off you can get the bearings out using the above mentioned technique. I was not successful myself with this however. I took it to an old school independent shop and the owner pulled the bearings and pressed in my new bearings.

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you can get to autozone they have loner internal bearing pullers and slap hammers.generally it is what you use to get end bearings out of differentials.I just used them to pull bearins out of my rear HD hub.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts