Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife's dad had a stroke so she wanted o go back home an see him I went along. since it see the right thing to do. While their decided to look up so long lost riding and wrenching buddy's. Well I tried to get in touch before hand but most numbers I had where disconnected. But one of my wife's family members said panhead Dan was still around well not much had changed except he had a pretty bad bike wreck about 7 or 8 years ago. He really is a old hippie no running water just a windmill no electricity just a generator and solar panels completely off grid. He taught me how to work on old panheads an knuckles and shovels here a few pictures . First is the Ol shop van I remember going to the store for soda pop in this one
next is a homade forge
His old 48 panhead chopper
. I could get him to pose for a picture but I told I would show pictures of his stuff he said he would take a picture with his old drag bike
. He I rebuilding his 45 trike it has a hot rod motor k model flywheels and top end
he is also wanting to build a slabside shovel with knuckle rocker boxes and lifters he has already started machining the heads.
. And speakin of knuckleheads he has had these 47el cases and parts laying around the last 25 years
he. decided I could finally have them. He said the next time I come down he will find some more of the motor. Sad thing is I guess I was the young punk kid wet behind the ears on a old panhead him and som other guy had patience with me. Now most of them are dead except for 2or3

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
From 14 to my early 20's I worked at a yard just like that. Couldn't wait to get to work every day. Some of the best times of my life and looking at your pics, I can almost smell that place. Awesome.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I got a buddy that I have known since kindergarten. I have talked to off and on over the last 20 years or so but never face to face. Now that I'm sitting out here in the desert guess who I run into? You guessed it...my old friend. We picked right where we left off. Hopefully it won't be another 20 or another War before I see him again.
You gotta stay in touch with old friends.

And that's coming from a guy who calles himself Solo

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I got a tear in my eye and it's difficult to type. I think that I would like yer friend. I'm lucky enough to have one kinda like him.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes. thanks for posting.

He sees that drag bike differently than you or I. On the line, after the burnout, getting ready to out-think the tree. His pinacle of achievement.

The motor rocks. That has to be a monstrous big incher to be running finless cyls.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hell, thats what I call livin'!! I never bought into the idea that we had to change either.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Would be nice to atleast get the stuff out of the weather in a building and in some kind of order. Love stories like that. They are so few and far between though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Kind of makes me think back ,,,, most are dead, married, or in jail, come to think of it, But the times we had!

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Like Druid said!!
One of the guys we all ran with back then started an interesting project a few years ago. He started following up leads, talking to ex-wives, former girlfriends, cellmates, roommates, anyone he could think of and started collecting photographs of all our riding buddies and associates in the heyday. His shop (BIG!) has 8X10 framed pics of everyone he has been able to track down. Several hundred are on dislay. It is a very cool tribute to those of us still standing, those who are gone, and those who just can't be with us. He throws an annual party for the survivors. I talked one of our old buddys to come along this year and he had a blast. Some of the people there he hadn't seen in 25 years or more. Very good time, in fact "a good time was had by all except for those who did not have a good time!"
Robbie

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Decided just to update this thread Panhead Dan rip you will be missed! Daytona will never be the same without you. He died with a six pack beer between his legs and 1/4 bag in his pocket just the way he would have wanted! Last 6 months have been ruff he makes number 2 on the big bike run in the sky and one in the federal pen for life. Makes me think I want to do some shit I been putting of this year not sure how much time I really got

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Mark I remember reading this when you first posted - sorry to read you have lost someone pivotal in your life.

Life is indeed fleeting, if coming to Australia is on your list you have a bed and maybe even a cool shovel to ride that you are familiar with :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.