Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old buco that i am trying to reline myself. I just used 1/2" foam for the main section and cant understand how it fit before I tried to reline it. I have even pin cushioned the foam in the hopes to compress it enough to make it fit and it wont....I am trying to reline the helmet using the original styrofoam insert. Are alot of you not even using this insert?? is there really any function in wearing a helmet with just foam as protection or is it just for looks?!? I cant think of any other options...Funny thing is the helmet was a little loose before with its worn out lining..I didnt think for a minute that the 1/2" ffoam was gonna be too much...

Any suggestions...Bottom line I like the idea of an old helmet....want some type of protection or at least an efffort....Is it worth relining with no styrofoam insert or should i magically make my head fit

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
ditch the styrofoam and get the biltwell helmet replacement liner its cheap and works great

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just did the same thing. Went to the JoAnn fabrics store and found it was cheaper to buy the biltwell liner off egay (cheaper than biltwell direct b/c of shipping). You can also recover the biltwell liner with whatever fabric you want or in my case your wife wants (Its got to coordinate, right?)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah. Think I'm gonna go the biltwell liner replacement. Did a diamond sewing job. It's ok and compressed the foam but I'm not happy with it. Still not done but it will do for today. Ill try n post Pics tomoro. But it's not the best. First time using a sewing machine

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well...here it is....took me two hours to figure out how to sew...and two nights to recover....pain in the ass...if you have the money i would strongly recommend getting someone else to do it....sayin that if you are cheap the biltwell liner seems like a great alternative....i do have the satisfaction of saying i did it myself...but it looks like it too....anyways i promised a pic so here you go....

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
on a positive note...i am happy to keep the styrofoam and give it some sense of protection...dont see a point of wearing a lid with no protection...i live in ohio id rather wear a hat

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if anyone is interested...i used loctite foam glue to adhere the padding and fabric....1/2 foam for the inner helmet and 1 inch for the flaps....the key is not having alot of excces material on the back...the glue seems ok but will eventually need touched up i dont think it can ever be permanant..and if i did it again which i wont...i would cover the whole styrofoam in fabric first then put the padding in. thhat way you wouldnt see the crappy 40 yr old styrofoam..but oh well

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yup I'm gonna get one too. I think that anyone trying to do this on their own will realize its worth it instead to do that and it will fit nicer too. If anyone at built well is watching. I would be happy to install one in my helmet and do a write up ;)

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It's either that or suck it up and pay hell mutts to make you the cushest helmet ever. Been looking at those for a long time
smart choice ^^
i've had many helmets in the past with leather insides ,with cloth ,nylon you name it
but i never ever had one as comfy as the ones billy did for me :D
last year when i was bold because of all my chemotherapy's and it was freezin cold it kept me warm ,now when the summer comes and i started to grow hair again it will keep me cool
how great is that ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.