Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as irene causes havoc, i thought it'd be best to back up the files on the laptop. ok, that's kind of a lie: one of my rugrats spilled a cup of water on the thing and after praying for two days and drying it out she fired back up (for now). so, i am backing up files and lo & behold what do i find but a couple of pics of my old panhead.

story goes something like this: bought a basket (got ripped off), had motor and trans built by a local club wrench (got no deals but the work was good), got pissed i was clueless so i went to ami (got ripped off save for what i learned from kurt), came back and worked in a shop and built the bike over the course of 7 years (started in 95 finished in 02). kids came, cash was tight, she went down the road. after all the other bikes this is still the one for me.

selling it is the only regret i have ever had.

not sure why i posted this other than its the only place where someone would understand. fukn sled ripped. don't think i could buy or build another one that would even come close.

thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
439 Posts
Had a '76 FLH. Mostly stock except for the apes that I put on her. Sold to a friend for a Pan. I miss that bike. I never should have sold her.

My Pan is going on a 2 year project. Definitely going to ride her next year. Once she's done, if I sell, it'll be to get another '76. I know your pain.

C

·
Registered
788 Posts
I can totally sympathize. I started turning wrenches with my uncles when i was kid learning as much as i could. I raced crotch rockets for a few seasons and owned a few, then i got an EVO sporty. It wasnt all that and i wasn't really attached to it. Then i got an ironhead and started to build a chopper out of it. Santee rigid frame and all the cool guy shit to go with it. When i was going to MMI, I had to sell it to stay in school. Then came a few cars( 67 cougar and a 63 Riviera then I had since i was 16) and a shovelhead that eventually left too. I had my daughter and gave up on bikes between marriage and all the doctor visits. I should have kept the shovel to take a ride to keep my mind straight while my daughter was going from doctor to doctor.

Finally I got divorced and decided to try to pick up on my life where I left off. When i started working at local cookie cutter custom bike shop, I got a 98 sporty. Wasn't much but she was mine. I tore it down to the cases and built it back up. Put some struts on her and left the tins bare metal. Had a wide glide and drag bars on her too.

I loved that bike and couldn't imagine being without "Sylvia" (named due to the silverish finish without paint.) I met my current girlfriend and we were happy as all hell. i was turning wrenches and riding and spending a lot of time with my daughter.

I was diagnosed with a stage 2 subglotic cancer lump in my throat. In order to pay for the surgery, i had to sell Sylvia. They removed the knot in my throat and my girlfriend said i was different without Sylvia. Well now we are building a shovelhead in the spare room in her house. The room was in the middle of a remodel before the economy crashed and money got tight.

This bike will mean alot to me because of all the love and support from my Angel and my daughter likes it too and misses hanging put with me at the shop. Since the economy crashed, I had to find a better job and move on.

Photobucket

This bike will be the icon of a resurrection in my life, but will never replace Sylvia.

Keep choppin and never compare bikes, just make them yours while you have them because in the end, you cant take them with you.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Only bike I have ever sold, that I loved, was a 72 XLH. My first HD. I have sold some bikes I owned, but those were bought to repair and sell. I still have every HD I every loved, and keep adding more. Just picked up a 66 FLH, in pretty good and original shape. Seller told me that I could double my money at the local swap meet next sunday. I told him that this bike will NEVER be for sale. I ordered the extra crypt for her today, so she can retire with me, when I go. That makes three crypts, just for my real sweethearts. The others will go to my better half, so she will have some to ride, and sell if she needs money.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sweet looking pan & good looking kid.
You can always buy another down the road but you can never replace it. Yep, know what ya mean.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have regreted every single bike I ever sold. Years ago I had a nice collection of antique bikes, some stock, most custom, I built them all myself. I loved those bikes. The town I was living in was turning into a shit hole fast. I had to get out before I killed someone. So I ended up selling the house and all the bikes but two, to buy a few acres, a nice house in the woods away from it all. Glad I did it, and I'll never look back, but I sure miss those bikes. Still have a couple to ride though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.