Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to moving away from CA. My neighbor gave me an old motorcycle. It sat in his Dad's garage since 1974, which is the last time it has been registered in CA. He has searched all over and cannot find the title for it. I was wondering what would be the best way of going about getting it in my name in Louisiana. The plan is to get a "non op" on it until I get my other ride legit. Should I try to get him to get a new tiltle, will a bill of sale from him suffice? I'm also wondering what 37 years of back registration will cost and on that note how far back does the CA DMV records go. Seeing is how the last registered date precedes computers.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I bought a bike on a bill of sale only some years ago. The last reg. was "87. I went to the DMV and was referred to the CHP for a numbers check. It was clean and I was sent back to the DMV. $38 later I had new tags and plates. I think DMV records only go back 5 or 7 years. Not sure which. If you are still in California get a new pink for it. Its not that difficult. No point in dicking around trying to get around the fact. The DMV have ways to get a pink and its their ball and field. Cross the Ts and dot the Is and all will fall into place.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I would contact your buddie, and have him apply for a lost title. It you pay, he should not complain. When it arrives, he signs it over to you, and you take to your DMV to change into your name. The bill of sale gets you the same thing, in most states. But the signed title, will get it done, in all states. That is, if it was ever issued a title. Prior to about 72, depending on the state, mc's were only issued a registration, not a title. Not sure about Ca. In the event that all of this fails, you can call a title company, and have them issure a mechanics lein, and after advertising it, with no responses, will issue you a title, for a price. Usually less than 300 or so.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm getting ready to title my '68 Triumph in Louisiana and need to start doing some homework. I searched and searched this site all night, read through about 20 pages of threads word for word. Everyone seems to have different ways of doing it (which I expected)

ITS and Broadway title companies keep popping up, but from what I read they're down right now.

Here's the run down of my bike, maybe someone can take what I've got and put me in the right direction...?

Frame and motor are '68, but not matching numbers. I have a bill of sale, no title. I have pictures/reciepts of parts from start to finish. The bike as of now has all the running gear I need except blinkers. I've ridden the bike, and worked out the bugs. How would you start titling this thing? Shit I feel really dumb.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
you need to learn how to lie...then go into your DMV and tell them you have had this old bike in your garage for many years and you lost the title, and ask them if there is any back fees due on it, they will run the numbers and it will probably come back as having no record on file, then ask them what you should do. every state has a policy for lost titles.

OR....If you want to open a giant can of worms then you could tell them you just bought a bike without a title.

"Government" is actually the Latin term for telling lies.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I could have updated this. I called the DMV in Louisiana 3 times to see if the 3 answers were consistent. They were. So....They said that if there is absolutely no way possible to get a registration card or tiltle from a previous owner that a court ordered justice of the peace (a cop trained in VIN numbers) needs to verify the numbers to make sure there is nothing fishy or altered and that there is nothing in the system. Honestly I was a bit surprised by how all three made it out to easy......we'll see. I have the website info written down on a workbench at the shop. The guy on the phone gave me the route to take on their website. I can post it when i get back to work.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Funny how when you contact the DMV they tell you what to do and its suddenly easy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For what it is worth. Back in CA I had called the CHP for a VIN check on My Triumph. They had a month wait and I had to bring it to them. I called the local PD. they were at my house in ten minutes. I plain clothed cop and a uniform cop. They did not really know what they were looking for. One cop even tried to google "Triumph VIN numbers" on his iphone. I showed them the numbers on the neck and the numbers on the motor. They said "oh, OK that makes sense". The one guy filled out the form and they split. From when I called for the VIN check to when they showed and filled out the form and when I went to the DMV and dropped the paper off in the express box was 45 min. Long story short, dumb luck and me are good buddies.....Knock on wood!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Dumb luck beats no luck hands down any day. Glad to hear it went well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you need to learn how to lie...then go into your DMV and tell them you have had this old bike in your garage for many years and you lost the title, and ask them if there is any back fees due on it, they will run the numbers and it will probably come back as having no record on file, then ask them what you should do. every state has a policy for lost titles.

OR....If you want to open a giant can of worms then you could tell them you just bought a bike without a title.

"Government" is actually the Latin term for telling lies.
Yep. "Hi, I've owned this bike for 20 years. I lost the title." Done. Little bit of paperwork and an inspection? Voila!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.