Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried doing a search on this but no luck. My question is how would you go about registering a home built frame vs a frame built by a shop? I was not sure if there was a difference between the two. Thanks

·
Registered
323 Posts
if its yours, and your using your registered bike, why not stamp your numbers on it and save yourself the paperwork headaches involved I can tell you that would be my move..the MAN is just so difficult to please in these matters.In the end it would be a custom or special construction or somethin like that.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
for real, i would jsut stamp em in just make sure you do em in the same spot that the factory would have for that bike... its shady and all, but damned if i would register anything as MSO, and why not since you are doin all the work?

im going through this difficulty kinda in my head with my shovel, do i hardtail the stock frame, or buy a pauchgo (what i would like to do), and then have to run an MSO instead of clean HD title i have now...

states are getting harder and harder on MSO's, and it brings the value of the bike down in some peoples eyes...

its your call, i would stamp em in, and if you ever sell it just tell the buyer thats what you did

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I dont have a motor or bike yet that I was going to make a custom frame for. I was just thinking for a future project and wanted to see what would be the best route. I guess I would just buy a parts bike w/ a clean title then go from there.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not sure in CA, but in FL if you can supply receits for the raw materials and pics of the building process.

·
Registered
471 Posts
yessir, the best thing to do is get a titled donor bike and simply "transfer" the numbers over to the new frame.;) or simply hardtail whatever frame you get with the donor bike. you DON'T want to go the MSO route especially with the "one EPA exempt custom build per LIFE" rule.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
his last name,... HAHAHHAHAAHAHA

now THATS funny...

if i were him i wuold fill those numbers in, and re stamp it and re-title...

HAHAHHAAHA, im gonna build a colondro, LOL

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
you folks dont realize that what you're recommending to this guy is a Federal crime, stamping one's own numbers is considering altering a v.i.n just as is grinding off or over-stamping existing factory numbers.

Carlingas said "..the MAN is just so difficult to please in these matters." well that's a helluva understatement.

you may not believe it because you have'nt yet seen it, but at the major runs there are often plain-clothes agents patrolling inspecting numbers; and these guys Damn well know what factory - say - '79 HD numbers look like, and will quickly spot a homemade frame with generic stamps.

and the next thing the bike is impounded and you are answering the hard questions.

if you dont want to deal with the increasing hassles of a special-construction title, it's best to find a titled oem frame, for jap, Brit, or HD; and hardtail, stretch, mod it as-needed and still be totally legit Anywhere.

but PLEASE do not keep advising new builders to stamp or alter v.i.n.'s in a public forum.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
58 Posts
There are some decent people at the DMV --but most behave as though they are functioning **********.

Stamping the frame won't matter to the CHP because they will make the determination as to the bike's status as either a special contruction or original HD. They may well use the numbers as is, or stamp their own.

A Harley frame is unique. For one thing, the motor mounts are cast. An aftermarket frame uses square bar steel. Also, there will be a letter stamp near the motor mount on an HD frame. Though occasionaly (because there is no continuity among agencies or personnel) the CHP inspector might designate your bike as an HD anyway with an aftermarket frame, if the engine cases are HD.

The new EPA law is a joke and most agencies have no way of knowing how to enforce it. Chop what you got. :D And if you have any serious problems, call TCS in Sacramento. The agents at the DMV headquarter's Technical Compliance Services know all the rules and are helpful.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jeff Diamond said:
There are some decent people at the DMV --but most behave as though they are functioning **********.

Stamping the frame won't matter to the CHP because they will make the determination as to the bike's status as either a special contruction or original HD. They may well use the numbers as is, or stamp their own.

A Harley frame is unique. For one thing, the motor mounts are cast. An aftermarket frame uses square bar steel. Also, there will be a letter stamp near the motor mount on an HD frame. Though occasionaly (because there is no continuity among agencies or personnel) the CHP inspector might designate your bike as an HD anyway with an aftermarket frame, if the engine cases are HD.

The new EPA law is a joke and most agencies have no way of knowing how to enforce it. Chop what you got. :D And if you have any serious problems, call TCS in Sacramento. The agents at the DMV headquarter's Technical Compliance Services know all the rules and are helpful.
Wow,
I can't believe the mis-information being spread around, and not just in the above reply, although he does offer some good advice. "call TCS in Sacramento. The agents at the DMV headquarter's Technical Compliance Services know all the rules and are helpful." That is the best piece of advice anyone can give you. Ignore the rest.

Disragard ALL of the advice to stamp your own numbers. It is a FEDERAL OFFENSE and trust me, the CHP or WHATEVER police you have in your area are looking and looking carefully. You can not only lose your bike, you could go to jail for a long time.

I have been running a custom shop for nearly 30 years, as well as a towing and recovery service which I no longer operate, and I can tell you the numerous times I have seen cars and motorcycles confiscated for "bad numbers". I have had to hook them up myself, since I had a contract with the police department to do impounds. I never liked doing it, and I was always careful not to damage the vehicle (plus I would do my best to get the entire vehicle returned to the customer after helping them get through the DMV inspection the right way this time, and ended up with several long-time customers out of it as well), but I have also been there when someone who enjoyed their job a little too much would hook up a car or bike on a wrecker and just drag it away, not caring that the owner just spent years and their life savings building it. You wouldn't want it back when these guys were done with it, believe me.

Trust me, you may get away with it for awhile, but eventually, you'll run into the wrong cop or your registration will get flagged at DMV and then you'll be screwed. Is it really worth it when it's not that difficult to do it correctly, and legally?

The EPA thing is currently NOT happening in most places, if at all, and even if it were, no one had the correct facts about it anyway. They may be doing something like it in California, but I know here in NY, they don't even mention it when you discuss titling a home-built motorcycle with DMV.

Lastly, you cannot issue your own MSO or VIN. There are several steps, lots of hoops to jump through, and much cash needed to become a registered manufacturer. The last part was what kept me from doing it. I started the hoop jumping ahwile back, but the amount of money needed was insane.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ripper® said:
And, I agree 100% with Dragon, please stop giving this "advice" to stamp your own VIN to people. It's a really bad idea.
My apologies..I didn't realize my words would be taken so seriously. Just cuz I said I'd do it ..doesn't in any way make it a good idea. I don't really have any regrets to date, but thats me. I would probably enjoy the bike with my version of the factory numbers for weeks or maybe even years, and be pissed when it got confiscated, then, I'd pay out the nose for fixing my paperwork, then, I'd get back on the bike and ride off into the sunset..It was all jus my two cents.I'm like that.To clarify, the numbers would be those on the frame, title and motor so they were all, "correct".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts