Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got started on this springer about 2 1/2 years ago then got sidetracked with another build and life's unexpected kick-in-the-balls...
Let me describe what the hell is going on here. This is an internally sprung mini-telescopic springer meaning I got hard-chromed forks,dampers, springs, bushings, and seals. I spent a minute designing this thing and I'm pretty happy with the results although it is a little more modern looking that I had hoped. Anyway, also on the menu are some delicious double-sheer rockers, rotating on bronze bushings, all this held together by chromoly rear legs and aluminum adjustable trees. It will be going on an upcoming sporty build w/ a fred hernandez single down tube frame with 38 deg rake, stock height, and custom motor mounts and axle plates. Once bolted up and sag height is set, I'll chop the rear legs to match the top tree and then comes the fun part of actually testing the spring action.

·
Registered
244 Posts
wow, thats really neat, I cant wait to see the build thread, any plans to put the front end into production, It would be really cool to have a modern designed springer on the market. IMPO this is the kind of stuff that should be on blockheads, not repops....

By the way, I just signed on to your blog, the indy seat mount is the bees knees!!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I like the finned caps for the tubes. Gonna look sweet once they're trimmed to length and just on top of the trees.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Guess great minds do think alike , I wuz checkin' out a BMX bicycle's telescopic front suspension with th' same end use in mind as what you have just created !

A springer with th' sprung forks replaced with th' telescopic set up from th' bicycle !

Marvelous ! :D

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
just when ya think everythings "been done". good job wompy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks folks!! Here are some specs to answer any ?'s.

It's 6 3/4" c-c using heavy wall 4140 1 1/4" rear legs. Rockers are 7075 AL double sheered like HD springers giving me 4.25" of trail. All the internals are handmade save for the springs, seals, bushings, o-rings, etc. Damping is handled by "baby dampers" which I haven't yet drilled out awaiting final testing. If I was to make more I have checked the possibility of adapting mountain bike forks to fit. That would save me a lot of mfg time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts