Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy tried this and it worked tits.

Most of us are dealing with old engines with lots of miles or lots of neglect. We take the carbs off and discover that the rubber are solid. no flex left whatsoever. really makes it hard to install your carbs.

Here's what i did to recondition my intake boots.

First off, you'll need an old cooking pot. I used a 2 Lb coffee tin.
You'll need something to keep the boots from burning to the bottom or melting. I used an old CB750 points cover. any old grill or grate will work, or even constant stirring will do the job too.
You'll also need a stove of some sort. I used my antique coleman stove for the job.

You'll need enough water to cover your boots.
You'll need a small amount of wintergreen Oil. I used 3 ounces in my 2 Lb coffee tin. Wintergreen Oil is an analgesic, its used for aching muscles and arthritis treatment. You should be able to pick it up in pharmacies or health food stores. I got mine at walmart for 5.00

Set the whole mess on the stove and bring to a slow boil for about 20 minutes. Let the mess cool until manageable.

Wipe all the excess crap off each boot and install on the bike.

It was so simple i was amazed, it didn;t even stink too bad, and it was a nice stink, sort of like chewing gum, or Rub A535. I had no boil over problems or anything like that either.

I found that the process actually removes a very thin layer of rubber which wipes away and leaves a pristine looking boot.

The boots were a bit sticky when dry, making the carbs hard to install, so i stuck my finger in the pot, and lubricated the boots a bit with the water oil-mix. Carbs popped right in after that, and once the boots dry again, no worries about anything getting sucked into the engine.
The smell, while not unpleasant, is quite pervasive, and will hang around for quite a while. You may want to do this outside

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.