Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this board, some may know me from the HAMB. Here's a little history.
Thinking about getting a new/used bike. Never ridden before. Would like a small bike (Low cc's) easy to maintain, easy to ride, doesn't need to be blistering fast but would like to keep up with traffic on the highway(and my pops-in-laws 3-cyl trump). Looking for modern/newer ride that looks good and can be chopped later on. The cheaper the better. I was leaning toward an older used Sportster, but a friend commented that I was so tall I'd look like "monkey fuckin' a football"(i'm 6'1"). I'd like to stay $2k or less.

·
Registered
944 Posts
The problem you will have is that all of the lower cc bikes are going to be kinda small.

I'd quit worrying about what people think you look like.

You can pick up a used Buell Blast for around 2K, it's a great starter bike, 70 MPG, handles great, stops really well and will cruise at 80 with little vibes thanks to the rubber mounted engine.

It has automatic choke, non adjustable rear drive belt, non adjustable tappets.. all you do is change the oil and put gas in it (occasionally).

efingstein said:
Thinking about getting a new/used bike. Never ridden before. Would like a small bike (Low cc's) easy to maintain, easy to ride, doesn't need to be blistering fast but would like to keep up with traffic on the highway(and my pops-in-laws 3-cyl trump). Looking for modern/newer ride that looks good and can be chopped later on. The cheaper the better. I was leaning toward an older used Sportster, but a friend commented that I was so tall I'd look like "monkey fuckin' a football"(i'm 6'1"). I'd like to stay $2k or less.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
A yamaha XS 400 would be good, that was one of my first bikes. If I were you, I'd get the XS650 though, you will outgrow your fear of the speed/power of a bigger bike in 2 days. If you buy a small bike, you'll be pissed you didn't go bigger very quickly.

Those yamahas are dead reliable too.

All that being said, if I had to buy my first bike all over again, I would have bought an evo sportster. For a little more than your budget, you can get a reliable, fast and choppable bike that can be made to look decent from stock.

efingstein said:

·
Registered
278 Posts
...Triumph all the way...you can get a good 500 cc for way under 2k (there was a running one in the recycler for 900 bucks a while ago..)...tons of bolt on hartail/chopper shit easily available..they look way cool and I bet you can sell it later for more than what you pay...and I'm 6'4" and rode my Triumph all the time..and as far as them bein' slow..if you're important enough, people will wait!..buell?..yuk..

·
Registered
798 Posts
my first bike was a 69 honda cb450, it was the shit!! I rode the crap out of it. learned to ride. bought it for 500$ sold it for 250$ with a busted cranckase

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm 6'4'' and ride a sporty.

Raised the bars to 16 inch apes angled a bit forward, scooted back a sprung seat, and used forward controls (yeah yeah I know, forwards are "lame") and it works just fine!

(just to be on the fase side I had my wife take a pic of me on it just to make sure I DIDN'T look like a monkey fucking a football!!)

You can find sportsters all over the place for around 3-5K.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gentlemen (I used that term loosely), thanks for the suggestions (except for Ryno, I'd pop the tires on that thing in a heartbeat). I'm really leaning toward a buell 9 series or an 883 sportster. I'm thinking in that direction because I can put the sporty parts in a FRC sporty frame later on. I guess I need to get to looking for a scoot now to freshen up over the winter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Knowing as little or less then you I was told to stay clear of the 883's They are slugs and after a bit of riding youll wish you went with a 1200.
I got a starter bike 96 sportster 1200. Im 6 2 and its perfect for me. fast enough and has the EVO motor so its almost hassle free

·
Registered
175 Posts
i've had a couple 883 sporties that run fine,you can make them into 1200's pretty easy and keep the cheaper insurance.I think the 650 yamaha makes a nice looking chopped bike.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
Knowing as little or less then you I was told to stay clear of the 883's They are slugs and after a bit of riding youll wish you went with a 1200.
I got a starter bike 96 sportster 1200. Im 6 2 and its perfect for me. fast enough and has the EVO motor so its almost hassle free
The difference in cost of 883's compared to 1200's can be pretty big. Considering you can convert an 883 to 1200 for just a couple Benjamins, I'd go 883 and convert yourself!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
tobiism said:
The difference in cost of 883's compared to 1200's can be pretty big. Considering you can convert an 883 to 1200 for just a couple Benjamins, I'd go 883 and convert yourself!
What if you cant "convert" it yourself. then you gotta pay some bike shop to do it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
What if you cant "convert" it yourself. then you gotta pay some bike shop to do it.
Dude, thats one hell of a simple job. There are two sides to motorcycles, riding them and fixing them. People who are too pussy to fix them are missing out on a lot!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Screw the starter bike and get what you really want. It will save you money in the long run. Just be mellow and cool and don't do more on it then your skill set will allow. One stuipid mans opinion.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
tobiism said:
Dude, thats one hell of a simple job. There are two sides to motorcycles, riding them and fixing them. People who are too pussy to fix them are missing out on a lot!
Not that some are to "pussy" to fix them it may be a matter of to NEW to know how to fix them. So keep your dick sucker shut until you know the hole story

·
Registered
361 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
Not that some are to "pussy" to fix them it may be a matter of to NEW to know how to fix them. So keep your dick sucker shut until you know the hole story
In with the good air , out with the bad..... :D Gregg

·
Registered
658 Posts
Draglinkscc said:
Cute. Who's whole story am I supposed to find out, your's? Hah, gimme a fuckin' break.

Not working on your bike because you feel too "new" makes you a pussy.

All you have to do is get a manual and some wrenches.

or just waste your money.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Just an observation, but there seems to be some board wide snippyness around here.

Back on topic.....I know a few dudes that got 883's and yes they seem to be kinda small for a tall guy but they also manhandle those things and rip up streets like sport bike dudes.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Hey hand me a manual on a F16 Tobiism and I'll just fix that sucka for ya. Give people a break some are not mechanics. I'm sure you spent years in school training to be a mechanic. keep your mind open to your fellow riders.
tobiism said:
Cute. Who's whole story am I supposed to find out, your's? Hah, gimme a fuckin' break.

Not working on your bike because you feel too "new" makes you a pussy.

All you have to do is get a manual and some wrenches.

or just waste your money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts