Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some bad news while up at the Carlisle bike event last weekend. "Pauls Chrome Plating" in Evans PA was there and I've heard of good experiences with this plating company. I asked the guy about re-chroming my old Invader wheel. He said they can do it, but it would run around $500. Yikes.
Is that a reasonable cost to rechrome an old wheel? It's not pitted too badly, just has some flaking chrome. No dings or other damage. I do have a bench-buffer and have polished metal. If I could get the old chrome off, I could probably do a lot of the prep work that he described as so time consuming/expensive.
I've also mulled over getting it powder-coated a flaky silver or even just black.
Any suggestions/experiences appreciated.
Here's a shot of the wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
No, they don't carry a bunch--they make them as ordered from what I understand. And a new one from Chica would be more than he has been quoted to rechrome his wheel.

$500, by the way, is not a surprising number in the least. Anywhere from $350--$600, depending on the shop, wouldn't shock me (although it wouldn't make me happy either).

Wheels4chopper has them cheaper than $500 for a new one, though.

Moonshiners said:
e-mail/call chica cycles, they usually got a bunch lying around...

·
Registered
344 Posts
last time i was there they had a stash of swap meet ones they cleaned up... but that was a while ago... just checked there site, nutz is right they're now making there own, my bad...

Personally i'd powdercoat the sucker, i'm not a big fan of chrome... but obviously your call, chroming costs here in the UK, have at least trippled in the last couple years, wouldn't be suprised if that quote was pretty normal
Bj's

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Thats not a bad price.

Hands-Off did mine....right around $350...so keep in mind it was nearly 3 years ago..

-Jason

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've only had a few small things chromed on my America. At those costs, I'm definitely leaning towards powder-coating. I have a local place that did great work on some car parts. You can do some pretty cool finishes now with powder-coating.

Thanks for all the input, if my budget increases, a new wheel from 4-wheelchoppers looks like the better buy.

Hell, I may just shine the old wheel up and use it that way for a while. It is loaded with character.

·
Registered
131 Posts
is it pitted? if it is light rust take some fine steel wool to it. they do make a chrome powdercoat. its not exactly a match for chrome but does look good, cheap too.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Galaxie500XL said:
Just run it the way it is, it looks good or powder coat it.
I think the old budget is going to require a "well worn" look for a bit. Hopefully the innards are OK. I'm on vacation next week and should have time to start investigating those items.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Galaxie500XL said:
Just run it the way it is, it looks good or powder coat it.
It already has character.Run it.$500 is way outta league for something that has like 4 square inches to chrome.I had both bumpers done for my Chevelle about 8 years ago and it was $350.I'll dig up the number for you.Piss on the powdercoating,it looks like shit.How about black chrome anodizing????I love that stuff.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
427 Posts
jimmydiesel said:
It already has character.Run it.$500 is way outta league for something that has like 4 square inches to chrome.I had both bumpers done for my Chevelle about 8 years ago and it was $350.I'll dig up the number for you.Piss on the powdercoating,it looks like shit.How about black chrome anodizing????I love that stuff.

Jimmy D
can't anodize steel...only aluminum...black chrome I agree is pretty cool but expensive as fuck...think regular chrome sets ya back add about another 250 to that wheel...BTW regarding the wheel I would just run it the way it is or search for a decent wheel...try http://cyclexchange.net Kenny is a cool shit and has all the cool old stuff like invaders up the ying yang...he's around 350-up a wheel...quite a bit of NOS stuff..check it out can't hurt..

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jimmydiesel said:

Jimmy D
I found two places in PA with good referrals:
M&P Refinishing and Bill's Show & Chrome, both in Jeanette PA and near my travel route. I'll give them a shout.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Take a greyhound to the nearest Mexican border town and bring your wheel. Eat taco's and visit the local brothel while your wheel gets chromed. Bring back a kilo of brown sugar as a "souvineer" to finance the trip and the wheel :)

J/K... Don't be a mule. That is illegal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts